Golden Primo First build

Use it for a bit first. I think it will work pretty good. I have thought about it a bit, and I can’t think of a better solution that Ryan’s. But it can only be printed one way and that limits the ways you can draw the mount. There have been a few with high BOMs, like springs and linear bearings. Those will work, but it would be nice to avoid an order of parts if we can just print a compliant spring.

1 Like

If you use very little pen pressure the deflection will be extremely minimal and work great. My double wishbone suspension just helps when there is lots of surface deviations or excessive pressure.

1 Like

Here goes!

3 Likes

I saw a post of someone putting dupont connectors in a tube cap. Anyone know what what I am referring to or possibly have the files for them?

Maybe this?

5 Likes

I think that’s the one! Thank you sir!

You have cast the spell of “Summon alter3d” by linking that post. poof

I’m happy to share the design for those caps (and the modified roller plates, though I’m uncertain if those will work on a Primo?) – however, my current design is for a 1" OD / 0.75" ID tube. I can provide .STLs for that size, or if you’re using something else, let me know and I can make a new version… should be an easy change.

3 Likes

I am grateful for said summoning! I would also be very grateful for a modified set of your files. 1" OD .65

I just took a quick crack and this and it looks like I wasn’t very forward-thinking with my design. There’s some dimensional contraints that are giving me a hassle when I try to resize/properly parameterize the ID (upon reflection, the OD doesn’t really matter at all… :slight_smile: )

I can fix it but it’s pretty late (well… early?) here – I’ll get something to you tomorrow.

No worries! It’s late here as well but I work nights so midnight is like midday for me. I was just giving you the equivalent to the example provided. Thank you! Worst case I can use your file with some trial and error until I get something that works for me.

Try these; they should print without supports if you put it so the wiring slots are facing upwards. No brim or raft required if you have good bed adhesion. Print one and test fit in your tubes… if the diameter is wrong, let me know and I can adjust. Also check that the connector ends up centered – they should assuming I did the parameterized math right, but I am only on my first coffee of the day, so… maybe not. :smile:

You must use 4-pin JST-SM type connectors; the female part goes in these end caps. Snip off the little handle things on the side so it fits in properly. They’re mostly used as a stiffener and to provide a grip when disassembling, but they get in the way here and aren’t strictly necessary.

The wire slots are sized for up to 18ga wire, which is what i used on my build. Obviously anything smaller will work as well.

When assembling, you want your wires to be JUST long enough so that, with one end fully installed, you have just enough sticking out at the other end so that you can slip the connectors into the cap and then slide the cap into the pipe. If you have too much extra wire, especially at larger gauges, it tends to want to push the caps out.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

https://static.gank.ca/mpcnc_rail_wiring_single_0.65in_id.stl
https://static.gank.ca/mpcnc_rail_wiring_double_0.65in_id.stl
https://static.gank.ca/mpcnc_rail_wiring_roller_plate.stl

1 Like

Awesome thank you I don’t have jst-sm connectors but I think I will manage.

I like the way the wire are coming along. I have been playing with the dupont connector tube caps I’ve been aiming for. Thanks again to Alter3D for his caps. It gave me something to start with.

1 Like

I also worked some more on the case and got a door on it finally. I messed up the corner of the plexiglass… adds character I guess. :man_shrugging: Either way I’m still pretty happy with it. I painted the inside white to increase the lighting. Black on the outside just for cosmetics. I ran out of black paint so the door is half done.

5 Likes

I got up earlier then expected today so I ran to the store and got more black paint.

3 Likes

Makes it look like you’re doing something dangerous!

2 Likes

I made another thing. I wanted something to mount measuring tape to for the wiring. This is what I came up with. I think it will work without getting in the way of anything. Maybe it was unnecessary, but I have fun playing with TinkerCAD.

1 Like

Is a compiling error the same as a boot load error?

From what I’m reading I either have to change some pin configs or my version of arduino. I know duel endstop is not suggested for beginners but I have already come this far and I have patients.