Going shopping in Germany

I’d like to show you why it is hard to transport bigger sheets (we do have a car, but we rarely use it):

This is not an e-bike! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It’s not hard, you only need a frame of some kind to put rails above it!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Or below it and make a plane!

3 Likes

Sure, and while I am at it I’ll play the headless horseman because there is no way that I have to sit on this thing as well to make it go neeeooow!

1 Like

Can you leave the pink bike at home and drag the ply sheets home as a self supporting trailer? Could 3D print and/or CNC some wheels and tow hitch that clamp onto the ply stock, JIT Trailer ™? Could get fancy and make an EMT framed trailer. I’m assuming there’s no road safety laws, and/or you view them as optional suggestions :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Or you could put a standing rack/frame with a self-balancing machine-mechanism on it’s own two wheels!

1 Like

In Germany… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

All I hear are excuses…

3 Likes

Really.
If you took a battery powered circular saw with you, you could fit a sheet of ply stacked neatly in the bottle box with a bit of effort.

1 Like

Agrees. You just need:

1. A way to fasten the front of the sheet to the bike.
  2. A way to attach wheels to the back of the sheet.

:checkered_flag:

Seriously though, I am jealous. Our area is not that bikeable. The roads really don’t work for bikes and everything is up or down huge hills where I live. When we visited Munich, it didn’t seem like you could even use a car. Everything was so much easier just using the trains. Towns with like 10 houses had a train stop.

2 Likes

The only issue I can think of is if you try to trailer it vertical, it will act as a sail in sidewinds and if you trailered it horizontal, it’d be pretty wide.

Love that little hook-up for the child’s bicycle at the back. I don’t think I’ve seen one like that before.

1 Like

I’m thinking two telescoping arms in a hinged ‘V’. The point of the V attaches to the tow-bike, the boards lay on the V and the ends of the arms extend to the rear of the load and have brackets to hook over the corners with a wheel underneath. Bungees could tension the telescoping arms, or you could have locking pins to stop them coming loose. If you’re not worried about packing the trailer away when not in use, you could do away with telesoping arms and just have rigid ones with sliding brackets to hold the load in place.
Keeps the load low to help balance, and horizontal to reduce the problems with cross-winds.

1 Like

I never thought about doing this, but it might just work, even using the system of the follow-me. I would try to imitate a window transport rack, but on wheels:

2 Likes

Yes, just lose the pallet and lay it on its side. I was imagining something more like a land-yacht chassis, without the front wheel, which would be where you attach it to the cargo-bike.

1 Like

Oh, loving those fold-up caravans! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d keep the front wheel to take the weight of the plywood. Just use a yoke to attache the front wheel to the back of the bicycle under the seat.

A child on the follow-me will probably weigh as much as a 22mm sheet of MDF so you might get away with it, but I think if nose weight became an issue it would be better to move the trailer wheels central to the load so it’s balanced. My reasoning for having wheels right at the back was to stop the load grounding out on bumpy roads when the bike goes up, there is no overhang at the back to go down and hit the ground, but then I suppose you could have some sacrificial ‘skids’ that clamp to the back of the board. In fact you could probably just use quick-clamps if you don’t mind the risk of them getting scratched.

Having two wheels close together causes scrubbing and sideload on the tow vehicle when you turn, which is tolerable for a car or lorry, but might feel a bit weird on such a light vehicle as a bicycle, so having a front wheel on the trailer may need experimentation to see how it affects handling.

1 Like

From my experience with the bike (got it since 2016) it would be better not to have a front wheel. The bicycles hindwheel takes the weight without issues. Maybe I’ll get around to construct a good trailer. :smiley:
Oh, and welcome to the forums Carl, I am happy my silly post coaxed you into posting. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

you’re welcome! :crazy_face:

3 Likes