Getting organized before printing parts

Yup you can see it in use on this build of mine, and a link to the article.

1 Like

The tape measure is used instead of a cable chain

1 Like

In my build I broke down what I did to make it easier after the first attempt was a mess.

First, lay your wires flat the way you want them to be, no twists or anything in them. Tape them every few inches to 1 foot with some electrical tape to keep them laying flat.

Next, take the section of tape measure that you’ve cut down to size and sanded the ends so there are no sharp edges where you cut it and line it up beneath the wires the way you want it to lay and again tape it in place. This will make it so nothing moves while you go for the final step

Lastly, slide everything through the wire sleeve you’ve measured and cut to length. This keeps everything from sliding around while you’re trying to slide the wire sleeve over everything and keeps everything laying flat making for a much neater looking cable.

That’s it. I wish I would’ve read the first 2 steps somewhere before fighting with wires and connectors twisting around in the wire sleeve and driving me nuts before deciding to use a little tape to secure everything first.

1 Like
1 Like

Well written. After reading the original tape measure post your explication made even more sense.

1 Like

I ran all the wires through and then just slipped the tape in last.

1 Like

Honestly, that’s what I tried first and the tape kept rolling around the wires and then between the wires and it was just driving me nuts. The little bit of insurance that you get from the tape, IMO, is so worth it.

1 Like

I finally implemented it on my Z axis on Sunday. Silly me put one of the ends on the stepper cable first, which happened to be the opposite end as the connector for the spindle. So I had to run one cable from one end of the wire loom and one cable from the other end of the wire loom. Total PITA, but it looks and functions great and I no longer have to worry about my cable for the Z stepper falling down around the end mill.

1 Like