Getting dog bone overcuts on carved letters

Spent probably 4 hours today searching but couldn’t find a solution. Re-cut several times.

I verified it is a 1/4 90 degree V-Bit. It is laser etched right into the side stating such.

I have a PNG i convert to an SVG and manually draw carve paths on in Estlcam to ensure they are clean.

You can see the tool setup and the end result as well as the gcode generating to draw these little ears. Before those ears were drawn at the end of the gcode the thing was perfect. Not sure why it is drawing the dog bones/ears/overcuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Edges look clean and neat.

They are until the end of the file when it tries to touch up the corners and I get this.

Gcode shows it for some unknown reason to me.

even if i use the Text tool in estlcam i still get those dog ears

1 Like

My first thought would be the angle on the V-bit was wrong, but you said you verified that.

Maybe the Z distance is not correct, due to steps per mm being wrong or the leadscrew lead distance not being right? It’s a long shot. Maybe your pockets are shallower than you are requesting and it’s not obvious except in the corners.

Move the bit so it is just barely touching the surface and then command movement upward by say 50mm. Measure how far it has moved and see if it is correct.

5 Likes

I agree, typically it is a bad Z value or warped material, or bad angle of the bit.

I think a lot of people put on a non flat workpiece or have a non level bed. Vbit carves are some of the most Z accurate work we can do. It the tip is not exactly where it should be you get the dog bone or rounded corners. For a nice sharp corner, it is best to have an ultra flat surface.

For yours I do think it is the angle, some programs expect half the value they are listed as.

2 Likes

I do have that two lead screw I am going to swap today for the four lead

I am going to go to a 60 degree bit

Ryan are you saying even though I have a let’s say 90 degree bit I should be using a value in etslcam of say 45?

I will report back

ps thanks for the help

Estlcam asks for total angle between faces, some bits have listed the angle as half. So opposite your example. I think that is because a 90 degree bit makes a 45 degree chamfer.

I fyou already adjusted your steps per mm this will not change anything, if you did not get those steps correct it would absolutely cause this.
When you move the Z axis 50mm (2in) is that how far it moves?

initial reports are good after swapping to 4 lead. i never adjusted my zsteps. wasnt thinking. was just assuming if it was wrong it would still carve just not as deep. clearly not the case.

For normal cuts, yes. These vcarve 3D cuts are the only time an issue like this would present.

P.S. I love watching the vcarves more than the 3D carve.

welp that was the problem. thanks all!

4 Likes

WOW is that thing ever clean!!!

How did you get the pocket to look so perfect?

1 Like

Wow, super nice!

I second this question!!! That looks amazing!!!

I used the 60 degree bit from this set. i never changed bits. only this one V groove bit.
https://amzn.to/3OGZ3Nb

I used these settings. Important part was the 5% stepover. This did take time about 45 minutes total.

and these were the settings on the pieces.

6 Likes

You’ll have to bring that to the next Rocky-MRRF. It looks really sharp.

2 Likes