Generic tool plate

Hey all, just built an LR3 and loving it. I’m using the tangential knife that @jamesd256 and others worked on a few years back (can’t link to it sorry!) and while it tests nicely with cable ties it’s not a long term solution

My fusion 360 skills aren’t very good to design a mount, has anyone developed a flat plate that screws into the LR3 core with the screw positions in the right place, that way I could drop it into tinkercad and mix it with the tool body that James designed

Haven’t seen anything around on Printables, does this exist?

4 Likes

Ah, never mind - I’ve realised it’s a fairly simple shape to model in TinkerCad. Will get a Mount designed and share it in the main tangential cutter thread, along with what I’ve had to change software wise to get it working in 2023

3 Likes

Hi Ruben
Im interested in the knife plate assembly with the stepper motor. How didi you set it up with the control board?

Heya, I’m using a RAMPS 1.4 board so needed to add an extra steeper driver. I wired it to the AUX2 connector (I followed the schematic from the ramps board of what the drivers need on each pin, and then it’s just 3 signals from the arduino to actually control it). In Marlin, I assigned the pins, and set it up as an A/I axis

Brilliant. I will have a play with it. Love the flexibility of the Lowrider
What software are you using to create your cut paths?. Im using Fusion 360 for my modeling and cam. Not if it can do cut paths.

I’m using gcodetools in Inkscape - @jamesd256 made a few mods to it to make it usable for tangential knife. I’ve had to hack away at it to get it to work with modern Inkscape and Python 3 - currently have the repo at GitHub - iamareuben/gcodetools: CAM extension for Inkscape to export paths to Gcode. Includes @jamesd256 extensions for tangential knife, I think I’ve got a couple other things to still fix. Let me know if you’re having any issues with it and I can get it working

2 Likes

Love it!

To replace the straps, maybe you could have a look at one of @DougJoseph ’s solutions to get an idea for easy mouthing purposes.

Could you tell me why you wanted to go with a tangential knife, and not a drag knife? I am willing to buy a Donek drag knife but not sure if it will work as I want it to do so. My understanding is that your solution makes it easier to lift the knife, move to another location, and position the knife in the right direction…?

1 Like

Hey Oliver. Sounds like it’s a challenge to cut deeply with a drag knife, as getting the orientation of the knife right is important to be able to be able to cut quickly and confidently. I’ve also heard that 3d printing a drag knife can be a bit hit or miss with the forces involved. Along with that, a drag knife doesn’t allow sharp corners without doing an orientation curve, which isn’t always desirable and I’ll be cutting fairly thick cardboard, ideally with dashed lines

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Reuben!

Exactly what I’ve read too, that’s why I was looking at a Donek. But your feedback makes sense. If you finish your design I would happy to see some more pictures or even a video:)