Fusion 360 v Onshape problem

Morning,

I have the paid subscription to FS360 which expires in October this year. I really like it and have invested a lot of time in there. But have been mucking around with Onshape as a replacement because it appears to me that you can’t export .dxf from the free Fusion version…

So… I am pretty much able to do anything in Onshape now that I was doing in FS except for the offsetting of faces for making tabbed boxes/ slots etc for use on the LR2.

I like to offset the cut the face back by a variable amount eg 0.5mm so that when I cut the pieces out they fit nicely together.

When I do it on FS360 and apply an offset negative value to a face it just moves the face back.

In Onshape, offsetting a face seems to just create a second face behind the first one. Leaving a sliver of plywood there.

What is going on? I also see in the Boolean feature in Onshape there is an offset function but that seems to not do the same thing?

What gumtree have I gone up in error?

Rob

(pharmacist, non cad engineer)

You can export a DXF of any Sketch in the free/personal version of Fusion 360. I use it all the time. There is no way to select specific lines, you get the whole Sketch. If I want just a subset of the lines from a drawing, I start a new drawing and project the lines or edges (projected from the 3D model) I want.

Well, that is excellent. I was looking at this page on the Autodesk site and it sort of says otherwise.
Do you have the hobby one or the education version?

I think I have solved my tab/box problem with using an extrude anyway rather than the offset. I suspect their intent is different in each program.

Rob

I have the hobby/personal version. The title bar says:

I “export” by right clicking on a Sketch:

1 Like

I use Onshape (with Kirimoto for CAM) and like it a lot. The move face function works very well for me. Sounds like you may be using ‘offset surface’ when you intend to use the ‘move face’ function. Two different results.

5 Likes

Thanks so much. That makes a heap of sense. Could not find that …

What settings do you use for Kirimoto for your Lowrider/CNC machine? Looks pretty neat. Never heard of it before.

Thanks again.

Rob

My settings vary a lot depending on the tools and materials. Once you take a closer look at Kirimoto and play around with it a bit you’ll find it is relatively simple to use and quite capable. I recently tried the double sided milling feature and it worked out perfect.

Also good to note that @stewart (Kiri:Moto developer) can occasionally be found around here, and can help with Kiri:Moto issues…

1 Like

Still around. @ me in posts so I don’t miss them. Planning a bunch of CAM work for the fall with possible 4th axis support coming.

4 Likes