Funeral gifts

My mum has been ill and passed away recently so my CNC projects have been put on hold.
As she somewhat disappeared interstate I thought it would be nice to be able to give some personalised gifts to her family and friends at the funeral.
I made 10 of these, 5 each in blue and caramel. It took about 3 days on and off to carve them all and then the usual resin drying and cleanup process.
They are made from some upcycled spare wood that was given to me after a church demolition. I believe it’s from a church pew. I’m not sure what type of wood it is, but it’s very ‘chippy’ and has a silvery sheen to it along the grain when it is sanded.

Tree of life pattern comes from a seller on etsy - I paid about $2 for 100 of them in svg format.

13 Likes

in progress shot

7 Likes

Nice touch! My condolences.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested in the process, I used a 3.175mm down cut for clearance and a 30 degree vbit for the edges. The outer circle was removed with a 6.35mm down cut.
I coat the top and cutout with Feast Watson sanding sealer which prevents the resin from seeping into the grain.
The good part about the opaque resin is that the cuts don’t have to be too clean - you can see from the in progress shot that its quite messy at the base of the cuts. You just have to remove any jaggies from the top of the cut.

4 Likes

That is a well thought out gift and lovely presentation. Sorry for the circumstances but wonderful memento for the family.

1 Like

What a nice idea !! Also thanks for explaining the process I have struggled with the resin soak in wood I will have to find some of that sanding sealer.
Sorry for your loss

1 Like

I think @Neilp uses a thin layer of spray paint to stop the seeping. I might be wrong though. He gave tips in the :honeybee: board thread.

I just spray a healthy coat of clear coat for the smaller pieces. Wait for it to dry, and it is sealed enough that pigments wont bleed

For larger pieces, a few milliliters of thin epoxy painted on the surfaces with a brush does the same job.

2 Likes

Beautiful pieces, very thoughtful.

my condolences.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss.

Looks like your wood there is Oak.

1 Like

I am very sorry to hear that you lost your mother. I hope you can celebrate her life for the good she brought into the world.

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind words. Having a little project certainly helped take my mind off things and they were well received. Shitty time but my mum really liked the stuff I’d been making and was always showing photos to her friends, so I thought it would be a good thing to remember her by.

1 Like