Fun 3d printed projects to build?

Now i want a tungsten benchy…

So I started with this Hadley telescope and I am doing the metric remix and there is a frame for the telescope that uses 4 pieces of 12mm tube. There are wooden versions but I went for the printed base and I also used 1m rods instead of 0.5mm rods. I am liking this build!

In my case the “printed” base is wobbly, how would you increase stability of this piece?

https://www.printables.com/model/262764-hadley-telescope-rocker-frame

Is it wobbly because the tubes aren’t stable, or something else? The whole thing does look a bit dodgy-light!

If it’s the tubes, why not make some gussets to hold them in place midway - even if you made a Ushaped version to go across the sides and back?

I would prefer to make the base a plywood “box” (sides and back) and as high as possible in the front, and stick a sandbag in it, but you could do that with this base too with a bit of thought.

Hi Peter,

I think that the one I am building is unstable because my tubes are a) hollow and b) too long.

I have printed Printables 1x of each of the ones in the link and instead of printing another batch of the same ones I posted in this thread.

I don’t have Fusion 360 but I have a 3d printer and I can print and test someone else´s design.

EDIT: I did a quick test in Blender and perhaps I could do my own design with a little help from someone else!

I would say the easiest solution to try for now would be to print two more of the top sections

“TelescopeInterfaceSeQuepaV2.stl” and slide them about a third of the way up and down respectively. That will cut down the span of the tubes and give some rigidity to the structure.

I don’t like the potential for racking (twist) with such a light weight structure with a big lever arm!

I’d still like to see it as a plywood box I’m afraid! You could fix the top print on it!

Do you have a link to the .stl? Curious how the dime is retained.

1 Like

I think it’s in my work computer I can get it Monday. It was a 1mm slot that I did I can’t remember depth.
But I used a piece of scrap metal on a hot plate and it heated then it’s and dimes and I heat set them in then water quenched them. I wanted to pin them in with a rivet but here in Canada you can’t deface money. In usa you can.

What do you think about diagonals? And is there a goto method for adding rididity to a structure?

Diagonals are good, solid skins are better, rigid joints are also good.

Why not kick off another thread and we can work through the thing in detail. Might be interesting exploring the alternatives

How much spare tubing do you have? How much print time can you spare? Oh and what is the EXACT diameter of your tube?

I’ll happily draw something to suit just for the heck of it.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I started a new thread at Increased stability for the Hadley telescope and it's printed base.

:smiley: