"Free floating drawing element" error estlcam

So I’ve been experimenting in converting 3d shapes from fusion into DXF files and then importing into estlcam. I’m finding that whenever I have a shape with some pockets cut in, I get this error. I have even redrawn some sketches to make sure they are on the same plane in Fusion but still get this error. The sketch in question is fully closed and constrained in fusion (all black lines)

I’ve attached the file here as well as an STL so you can see what it is supposed to look like…
L console side.zip (14.5 KB)

Any thoughts?

I’m not a regular EstlCAM user, and when I tried your DXF file, I had different problems that “Free floating drawing element,” but I have had trouble using DXF files out of Fusion 360 in Lightburn. My process for getting around the problem is to start a new sketch on a face of the object I want a DXF for, and the use the Project command in Sketch and carefully select the edges I want in the DXF file. I then export this sketch as a DXF.

You should not try and speed up the process by selecting the face of the object. you want to select the individual edges. When I’ve selected faces, I get double lines in Lightburn…I assume Fusion 360 is projecting the lines from both the front and back side of the object.

This process eliminates any lines that are not part of your finished geometry. For example, in your drawing, you have this:

My process eliminates the line segment that separates the horizontal and vertical channels.

I don’t know if this will work for your specific issue, but it is worth a shot.

Edit to add: when projecting edges using the Project command, I have ‘Projection Link’ checked, so that if/when I go back and change my model, the sketch for exporting the DXF gets updated as well. Also, you can break complex DXF files down to simpler ones by using multiple sketches and projecting different geometry on each sketch.

Some great info in there–thanks!

edit–so I tried mucking about with fusion–selecting lines instead of planes, snapping sketch to X/y plane etc. But in the end, I just did what the pop up box told me to do and installed librecad. Opened the file, then saved it and msg goes away…adds an extra step to the process but is pretty painless…

1 Like

I had this issue today.
I draw a basic sketch on fusion360 and want to through it to estlcam to cut a sheet of aluminium.

I I used the Export function, dxf is 84 Ko and I have the same error message.
Libre Cad fix the error but the sketch is a mess.

Back to Fusion360, right click on the sketch, save as DXF, result is 4Ko and is works

I imported the stl file and did see the object is projected vertical. perhaps that cause the error? I do not have fusion so I can not correct the projection in the right way to try