Forum workshop to inspire creativity

Ah the deluge… slow trickle… of refugees has begun.

Thank you sir! Now I remember that thread and that video. Man I should remember more than I do lol. If I don’t use it and often then its gone until I see it again LOL.

2 Likes

I have had that same problem the last 20 years year. Im never board always something to learn or relearn.

1 Like

Seeing the different ideas come out if the parametric table discussion would there be enough appetite for some easy going design challenges: set a loose goal and see how many ways people solve it.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I should be reviving this old horse - but I just want to point out the the Kobalt competition #4 and #5 is somehow along the lines of what I imagined with this topic! It’s super neat to see how people tackle a challenge in different ways.

8 Likes

Revive away! Its always awesome to see what everyone comes up with. Loose set of guidelines and see how everyone runs with it! Im on board! I need a LR3 at work!! Something tells me my bosses wont agree with that LOL

4 Likes

My boss helped fund mine :rofl:
He’s also my dad and had like 8 projects he wanted done… still counts!

4 Likes

I promise your boss/dad is MUCH nicer than my bosses. Plus im on a boat with no room so theres that too LOL. But at least I work even time so after 4 weeks at work i get 4 weeks at home to work on what i want to work on LOL

2 Likes

We can do it again if you have another idea!? I have a few more routers…

2 Likes

I love the idea of the thread… I love the idea of the contests… but eventually the routers will run out…

I have a couple of ideas but I need to read this thread through to see what’s been said already. Hopefully have time… BRB!

The lowrider 3 from my front strut with the v1 logo on one side and the Kobalt circle on the other

1 Like

:shushing_face:

I legit thought about doing this

2 Likes

My head’s filled up with building the workshed thia fall. I was actually going to carve some mountain sculptures to sell at a Christmas faire, but I chickened out because of having no spare time. This topic has also fallen behind. Right now my head is empty, but I’ll certainly shout out if come up with anything! And if someone else has an idea, I’m totally open to handing it over.

3 Likes

Who was the user with all the ice sculptures and shot glasses? He had waterproofed his LR2, and was using a loooo-oong bit to carve ice blocks into corporate centerpieces and drink glasses for events…

That was my immediate thought when you mentioned making carvings for a Christmas Fair at the top of the world. :wink:

3 Likes

Kelly the carver (@macboy)!

It was an awesome project, but Kelly was also an expert at making giant blocks of ice, and all the finishing and skilled with a chain saw. It would be a great skill to learn, but maybe not as easy as it looks.

3 Likes

True, I didn’t mention that he was an accomplished ice carver on his own… But that was usually a sidebar to the CNC-related content he posted here. Like his flats of shot glasses and large corporate logos. And getting clear enough slabs of ice to carve those is no mean feat, and requires it’s own set of specialized skills (which, of course, he has).

4 Likes

So I had a couple of ideas. I mean we want to boost creativity, So I did the dangerous thing and jumped down the google rabbit hole…

The general idea I got from it all was that providing a good environment (got that :white_check_mark:), holding friendly competitions (A few mentioned that a reward doesn’t need to be something physical or expensive but just something that can be a goal, I’ll list a couple ideas below and we’ll still need to brainstorm more too), Almost all of them mentioned having big windows and not playing “schedule Tetris” (which you all were talking about with everyone living everywhere).

Now here’s what I was thinking; We add two categories: Brainstorming, Competitions

Brainstorming
obviously a dedicated section to ask questions about techniques and tackling certain challenges in design/work/etc. Biggest thing is if we want real creativity will be to have this as a non-restricted section (meaning not just LR3, MPCNC, MP3DP, ZENXY, etc)

Competitions
Another somewhat self explanatory section. We could have a pinned thread for competition ideas/polls to decide what the next one should be. As for length most the stuff I read agreed it should be something like 30-60 days as a week is usually two short for most, but 3 months is so long some may lose motivation/forget their entry.

As for rewards something like a special username badge or something (similar/same as what @jeffeb3 said earlier), maybe once a year hold one that has some actual items or maybe a discount to the V1E store (obviously not our decision to make @vicious1, just ideas), I even thought that the winner could help decide something, like picking the next competition out of the top ideas from the pinned thread or something like that

Again these are all ideas so let me know what you think

4 Likes

This round of giveaways is eye-opening and very fun. I would like to continue in some way as it is going smoother that I thought it would. Your ideas are good, We need to give it a test shot after the router dust settles.

5 Likes

And all round nice guy. He came by my place to see all the V1 machines, and make Low Rider decisions.

6 Likes

Ah! The skill is all housed in the $10,000 machine that makes the ice for us. No real secret to it, just money. Life has its ways of twisting and turning and it finds me back here with old friends yet again. Time to create a “what’s been going on” post and get caught back up on everything that’s been shaking here!

6 Likes