For 3/4" (19mm) thick MDF: NEW v3 of "YZ plate, extra tall by Dan Supra Guy" (for 200mm linear rails), mirrored set - MODIFIED BIGGER ACCESS HOLES (v2/v3 COMPARED)

@Ryan @SupraGuy

Hello and thanks again for awesome things!

I am putting together my second LowRider 3 (intended to serve as a CNC plasma cutter). I again ran into (and worked around) a minor issue I had encountered the first time I built a LR3. I later realized it was because I was using 3/4" (19mm) thick MDF for the YZ plates.

The instructions indicate the Y motor mounts can be inserted “with a 90 degree twist.” They also give an assembly order that has the motor being installed before that insertion and twist. However, both times, I could not get the twist to happen once the motor was installed. I had to remove the motor, then do the twist to insert the mount, then slide the motor into the semi-positioned mount, mount the motor again, and finally secure the mount.

I am labelling Dan’s original “extra tall YZ plate” as remix “v1.”

Earlier I had asked if Ryan saw any issues with making some small holes a bit larger, for not just tool access (for screws on gantry) but for insertion (and potential removal) of the screws themselves. I got a green light and used that for this second LR3. I am now calling that remix “v2.”

This “v3” remix offers a circular widened area on the hole for the Y motor mount. Again, this is not needed if you are not using 3/4" MDF. The diameter of the circular extra cut (and thus width of the modified Y mount hole) is 66.5 mm. It is intended to be completely covered up by the motor mount once installed. I have not tested this (as it would require making an extra, unneeded YZ plate and moving a motor mounted assembly around), but the theory and hope is that it would allow the 90 degree twist even with the motor installed.

Below is a before and after, and then I will try to attach both a one-off SVG and a mirrored set of 2 SVG.

YZ Plate, MODIFIED BIGGER ACCESS HOLES (v3), mirrored set and one-off.zip (48.5 KB)

Thoughts? Does look like a help or a hurt?

3 Likes

I don’t see how that could hurt, but I also don’t see a need for it. The only reason I keep the seams tight is to try and keep dirt on one side of the plate, but there is a giant lead screw hole so it couldn’t hurt even if that opened a little bit up.

Here is a one handed vid, the other hand had to hold the cam. https://photos.app.goo.gl/MFJnEgFhtCnom1457

1 Like

I see now from watching your video that the one bit of info I left out — and is the reason why I couldn’t — is because I am using 19 mm thick MDF. So the thickness was the reason why I couldn’t get the 90° twist to work!

For anyone else making their YZ plates with extra thick MDF (19mm), and you would prefer to use this remix with circular cutout intended to ease the 90° twist on the Y motor mount, here is the zip file containing SVG (scalable vector graphics) files of a one-off and a mirrored set — both the normal height and Dan’s extra tall version:

YZ Plate, v3 MODIFIED BIGGER ACCESS HOLES.zip (182.0 KB)

Here’s a modified image showing the differences of this v3 compared to original design:

1 Like

I modified the post title accordingly.

That makes more sense.

1 Like

If I get a chance I will make the same modifications to the regular height YZ plate drawing and include those in the zip file. For now only the extra tall version is included.

Update: this is done now. The zip file linked about now has versions for both normal height and Dan’s extra tall.