Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Direct Drive Extruder Mod

I have been wanting to upgrade this printer to use a direct drive extruder for quite a while. I have been waiting for a lightweight extruder, so I could do away with the Bowden extruder. I have never liked Bowden. I am hoping the Sherpa Mini is lightweight enough. I have not ordered one yet as I wanted to see how it worked out in a design first. Think I have the design about as good as I can get it. I have seen this extruder used on a FLSUN delta, so seems like this work on this Delta also. My effector is a little smaller than that one with an Effector offset of 25mm. The arm spacing of 40mm seems to be the same as the FLSUN.

I remixed the effector design I had done before for this FT Delta & the fan duct from a couple of bed slingers I have. My previous design was done in openscad, so I redid it in fusion 360 to make my life easier. The fan duct took the longest. My biggest concern is whether the motor will have too much weight on that side. I initially put a 5015 blower cooling fan on opposite side to help with that, but someone on the discord pointed out that fan was sticking out too much and would hit something. I plan to use an E3D V6 hotend, but might use the E3D Lite6 that is currently on there if it still works. I had looked at originally having the extruder resting on the effector but wanted to start with a design I already had & then go from there. I kind of forgot about that after getting so caught up in the design & someone on the Annex Engineering discord pointed that out & brought me back from that rabbit hole. Here is the 1st design where I just essentially used my previous design that only had the hotend attached.

I started looking at the cooling fans they were using on FLSUN QQS-Pro One Piece Extruder Mount for Sherpa Mini (Remix) by SpaceSputnik - Thingiverse . It doesn’t mention which fans they use, so I looked at the Voron designs to see what they are using. They are using 3010 fans on the V0 model. I made a design to use 2 - 3010 blower fans or 1 - 4010 blower fan. I have only used the 5015 blower fans as cooling fans & have not used th3 3010 or 4010 fans. Looks like I have room to put a 4020 blower fan in where the 4010 fan is with little modification to the design. I incorporated the 3010 fan mounts into the same part as the effector & made the 4010 mount a screw on. Here are those 2 designs.

I had the idea for curving the outlets on the 3010 blower fans. Seems like that might spread the air more evenly.

Anyone have thoughts on either of these fans or ideas to make this design better? I have not ordered the extruder or the fans yet, but will probably order a couple of the WINSINN 3010 blower, a 4010 blower & a 4020 blower. I have 12v heatbed on this machine, so will need to stick with 12v fans. I’m also planning to use a BTT SKR 1.4 board since I have a spare one of these.

I am a huge fan of the last one. The extruder cooling flow has somewhere to go…and the part cooling has somewhere to go and not just colliding.

Thanks for your input. I wasn’t sure whether that one be more effective or not, but it does look more interesting than the flat fan output. Maybe I will see if I can run a simulation on the air flow using Teaching Tech’s video tutorial from a while back.

Oh I love simulations!

If you get it figured out try to run it with the nozzle touching a surface. I have been interested to see how things perform like that vs free air.

I need to watch another tutorial on that simulation as the interface changed a little since that 3 year old video. At any rate, I found another youtube video tutorial on a different approach to printer cooler design, lofting the inside instead of the outside. I had not used the tangent option of the loft before. Also he mentions tapering down the inlet to 50% as the last 50% does not have as much air coming from it.
Here is my 1st redesign with a single outlet on each side.

And the 2nd one with 2 outlets on each side. I tried to get 3 outlets on each side but could not get it to shell after combining. I will try that again since I got 2 to work.

1 Like

These little fans do not have much static pressure. I have always tried to make the outlet ports match the area of the fan outlet. I do not have a good way to check flow rate though so that is just a guess on my part.