First try cutting aluminum with my lr2

First try cutting 1/4 inch aluminum

The used bit was one of the amazon cheapo bits: HQMaster 1/8 Shank CNC Router Bits Inch Shank 3.175mm End Mill Single Flute Spiral Router Bit

Used really slow feeds 280mm/min with 0.20mm z setps at 200mm/min

Going to be milling my lowrider 3 plates xz-yz from aluminum next week

8 Likes

Looking forward to seeing that

Looks good. You can do it faster with trochoidal! :smile:

Chant after me: trochoidal, trochoidal…

1 Like

@Tokoloshe and others were a lot of help for me cutting some 1/4" aluminum on my LR3

Here’s the post for info…

https://forum.v1e.com/t/feed-speed-bit-selection-for-aluminum

And he is right…Trochoidal worked amazing. I could have pushed it a lot harder than I did. And it came out smooth as can be.

I have tried many settings yesterday. Im taking the slow way because: i have the bits i posted. To get something else will have to wait like 10-15 days more… Taking the ultra slow approach because the aluminum isnt cheap around here. Half sheet of 1/4 is around 700usd here.

Trochoidal is a lot better for your endmill because it uses more of the cutting area of the endmill and does not only dull the first 0.2mm of it. Also, a lot more heat gets generated because you don’t really have chips that transport the heat. Try trochoidal with a leftover piece, maybe go 3mm depth, 800mm/min. That’s pretty conservative for trochoidal and it will blow your mind. Promise.

1 Like

I use those cheap Amazon bits all the time. I can’t remember if that’s what I used on the aluminum or not. But I was able to go full depth with the trochoidal and it did amazing

1 Like

After some headaches :cold_face: went back to the trusty dewalt router and have successfully completed one. The second one is on its way. Video

First im upgrading one of my LR2s then will disassemble the other one to Begin the lr3 conversion

A good cut is a good cut, but I’ll say this: I’ve never worn out a carbide endmill on aluminum, even the ones I buried repeatedly in melted aluminum.

If we’re talking speed and cycle time, I’ve gotten better results with smaller DOC and bigger stepover, 1-1.5mm DOC, 90% RDOC. If I go 1/3 as deep and 3x as wide, I can go more than 3x the speed, generally. The router doesn’t bog down as much and the core doesn’t flex as much. These add up to better reliability AND faster cycle times for me. When the router slows down, the chipload increases so you have to compensate with the feed until you get it right. And when the router flexes dimensions aren’t right and parts break.

I didn’t used to think it made any sense, but we just dont travel that fast and our accelerations are pretty low so the extra travels don’t hurt as much as I thought, compared to the time we save when in the cut. And it makes me much more comfortable to turn my back on the machine.

1 Like

I was using a cheapo 24v motor (using an N200 driver ) it cant cut aluminum. Reinstalled the DeWalt router and worked beautifully. Im in the process of the second one. Then will be doing the xz and yz (the yz plates im leaving them to last because i just have enough for both plates of 3/8" aluminum) for the Lr3 build in aluminum.

I was happy cutting plastics most of the time. But man these machines are capable of much more. @vicious1 you genius. Im dealing with some heat issues (ambient temps are really high here in the Caribbean :sunny: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire::sun_with_face:)

2 Likes

Amazing :star_struck: the LR is a beast!

2 Likes

“First try” my ass… :smiley: This looks brilliant.

4 real it was my first. Did some cuts with some thin angles and the first try with the tube was a fail.

But now fear im not!

2 Likes