First thing worth sharing

Made an edge lit sign with my wife’s photography logo. Used a diamond drag bit. Took 4 hrs to do the engraving but it was nice a quiet lol. Used a base from amazon for $5.

15 Likes

Dude that’s sick! Is it just a light engraving on the surface of some acrylic?

Yes Sir. its a 1/4" diamond drag bit i got off of ebay…

a little spindy for a single bit but man it was nice watching it run and being able to hear myself think. it takes a while because the line it engraves it so small. i had it set at .1mm for the bit thickness and a 10% stepover. i think i can safely pick up the speed a little but i errored on the side of caution and let it take its time. the base i used was cheap on amazon…
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S2RM8SX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

let me know if you have any other questions!

5 Likes

So when you say drag bit does that mean you don’t spin it at all? I assume so because you say it was quiet. The notion seems foreign to me though.

Correct. The router just holds it. It has a spring loaded diamond tip. it just “drags” along the surface of the acrylic and engraves it. technically you could do the same thing with a spinning bit much cheaper but with this its quiet and if there are any variations in your table surface the spring action in the tip makes up for it. i set up for a 1.5mm DOC and got a great finish.

1 Like

I did something similar for my brother (30 of it) and ship down to Brazil…

He added the logo sticker and built the holder with the led strip

3 Likes

Looks great! I’m curious what the difference in finish would be using a drag bit vs a spinny bit… I’m thinking the drag bit would come out nicer.

Hopefully this works. First time trying to post a video. Anyways. It’s the drag bit in action making a sign for my daughter

Looks great! Someone at work just threw out some acrylic, so there might be some of these in my future!

I might try to use Ryans’ drag knife set up now, seems similar with the spring loaded mount?

well the audio worked

yeah im working on it now… any better???

2 Likes

I can see the video now, not sure about the audio but I’m on mobile right now with no headphones on.