First project

I’m about to start my first project on my lowrider.

I have a co2 laser and have already made a catan set on that.

As I already have the vector files it seems a good first project.

I was wondering how I need to adjust my vector files if I want to make it on my lowrider.

Do I need to leave more space for the kerf or does Kiri moto that for me?
I’m a Mac user so I believe Kiri is the only free or cheap option for me.

My laser has a very small kerf so I could cut and engrave it in place.

When I cut and engrave it with my laser I always engrave first so everything stays in place.

As there’s way more forces on the material (more than non) I think that would make even more sense for cutting and engraving it with my LR3 right?

Can I let it carve all the pieces at once or should I do them one by one?

Excited to get to learn how to go about it.
Any advice is highly appreciated!

you will need to make sure the pieces are spaced far enough apart to account for kerf, but your CAM program should cut on the inside or outside of the line you select depending on how you set it up. I use Estlcam, so I can’t speak to Kiri:moto in detail, but your vector drawings should be good to process on the lowrider. You will need to specify holding tabs. the laser doesn’t care if the pieces are loose once cut, but the cnc can damage them or fling them places if not held in place and the final cut tab removed with an oscillating tool or a chisel to finish the shape. Do anchor your piece down on your spoil board. You can do all pieces at once for sure, but it might be wise to test your feeds and speeds on one piece before committing to the entire set.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll do that

The one thing I would add is to remember thst the kerf from the cutting tool is round. That means that it can’t get into sharp corners (but it can still leave sharp corners on outside edges.)

Yes I understand I got some really small bits.
Like .5mm so thanks fine for the inside corners.

I have some trouble with Kiri but I keep on trying

You have to be very gentle with those. Even breaking a 1mm is pretty easy.

1 Like