Firmware Upgrades to Full RAMBo Board

It has been a few years since I built my MPCNC with end stops and added a laser head.

A friend is contemplating on building a MPCNC Primo for use in cutting model aircraft parts and I want to help him get going on the correct path.

If a Primo is intended to be used with a Laser (or a router) is it still required to do a firmware upgrade for end stops.
Or has this been upgrade been preprogrammed into the newer boards ?

All boards require firmware. If you purchase a Rambo board from some place other V1, there will be no firmware on that board. If you purchase the board from V1, it will come with the latest V1 maintained version of Marlin for the machine you are trying to build (i.e. you need to tell Ryan what you are going to build). The latest versions of Marlin have the laser features enabled, and include a major rewrite of the laser code compared to older versions of Marlin, so you really want the latest firmware for laser use.

I’m not sure of your friend’s build requirement, but note that a dual endstop version of the firmware do not require installing endstops/limit switches on the machine. It requires a separate stepper driver on the board for each stepper motor. I would recommend this configuration regardless of whether you install endstops or not.

As long as you don’t require changes, to the firmware, XLoader provides an easy way to install/update the firmware on a Rambo or Ramps board. V1 provides the binary file, so you don’t have to setup a compiler environment.

1 Like

The Rambo board will be purchased from V1 as a complete V1 package to build a V1 Primo MPCNC.
The end stops along with the z homing will be required with this build.

As I remember, due to the age of my Rambo board, I had to update the firmware on my Rambo board to either enable the end stops or be able to run the laser (I can’t remember what the firmware update was for)

Anyway…is the latest V1 Rambo board setup endstops, z homing and laser control is the question ?

Thanks again
Tom