Firmware install issues

Hey guys. Been really in love with lowrider 3 cnc after seeing few videos of usage how sleek and “cool” it looks, and then the storage ability . Anyway I decided to build one. Printed all the parts, got a friend to cnc the yz plates then it came to wiring, and now I’m stuck.

First I bought a skr 1.4 turbo. Got the firmware compiled and put in on the mini sd card. Powered up the board …the bigtreetech logo came on took a sec and booted. It says no printer attached. Tried and tried and same result so I took to the internet and saw some people say that they can’t get the firmware installed and some of the boards had issues.

Well I then ordered a skr 1.2 pro . Did the same thing, got the firmware tried to flash it and I get the same msg.
Now I fail to believe I have gotten 2 faulty boards. So I must be doin something wrong. When I flash both boards and remove the sd car and place it back onto my laptop. The file is now a .CUR file . I have not connected or tried to drive the stepper motors because I don’t want to burn out anything or have further problems.

Does the .CUR file mean the firmware is installed and the board is ready to go ?
Should the display or anything change the way the menu looks?
How can I be sure the firmware is installed?
How should the display look ?
What is the first thing I should do after installing firmware?

1 Like

Does the .CUR file mean the firmware is installed and the board is ready to go ?

When the control board renames the file to have a .CUR extension, this means the firmware did successfully flash the board.

Powered up the board …the bigtreetech logo came on took a sec and booted. It says no printer attached.

The display has its own firmware. You don’t specify which display you are using. The “no printer attached” message means the display is not communicating with your control board, not that the control board is having issues. Two common reasons for the message are cabling issues between the display and the control board, and not setting the BAUD rate correctly on the display. You need to set the BAUD rate to 250000.

Note you can communicate with your control board using a g-code sending program like Repetier-Host. This will allow you to test your control board without involving the display. Try sending an M115.

1 Like

Hey sorry I have tft35 .

I’m not the right person to comment about TFTs. I know there are several different ones, and V1 maintains the firmware for a couple of them. Making sure the BAUD rate is 250000 on the TFT is the first step.

Hey man, I just had the exact same issue.

Tried updating SKR Pro as well as the TFT35 as described by Robert / instruction online. I had the exact same issue as you did.

Seems like the issue was with my SD card. I ended up using an old one from a raspberry pie and was able to update both board and display.

I’d recommend to try different SD cards.

Cheers
Adrian

1 Like

The SD card used to flash the firmware must be formatted FAT32. The card needs to be 32GB or less for FAT32. The one difference Neil’s setup is that his firmware on the card is being renamed .CUR. That only can happen if the board is successfully reading the card. It wouldn’t hurt to try a different card just in case, but the .CUR is an indication the card is not the root of his issues.

Also, please know that Quick Format may not work, it takes some time, but in Windows make sure you are doing a full format, and that you are on the SD Card, LOL.

Yes correct. My problem was not knowing the firmware was flashed and not knowing what to do after. Tomorrow I will take a plunge into it and update you guys

1 Like

Ok guy I wired up the machine… everything was working , all the axis was fine but I realise I had some something wrong. I put both z axis on the dual outputs from the z driver (hope that makes sense). However it worked. All axis would move in both directions when I go through the menu and manually move them. I didn’t try to home then however since I didnt have the endstops connected.
I powered down and when ahead wiring the endstops and swapping the z2 to e1…

When I powered on after everything setup all axis stopped moving. I have no more control and the screen once again says no printer connected. All lights on the board are lit …the red light by each driver is on . What could be the problem now?

Ok took a break to get something to eat , came back and powered it on and it works again…no idea what’s up