Firmware choice Marlen vs Klipper

Preparing to build a Primo for my shop for acrylic and aluminum on larger sheets. I’m not new to CNC milling machines or 3D Printing so don’t really expect any major issues.

I have used both Marlin and Klipper in 3d Printers but I really prefer Klipper since i can reconfigure without the slow re-compile of the firmware.

So my question, I noticed most run Marlin here. Is there something missing from Klipper for a CNC Router I should be aware of ? My main reason for favoring Klipper is the amount of tweaking I can do without a lengthy recompile and flash of the board.

I’ll most like be running a BigTreeTech Manta 8P for this project with TMC2209 drivers. Not that you could hear noisy steppers over a running router lol Main reason for this board is their inexpesnive Raspberry Pi clone you can attach to the mainboard board for about $40 vs scalpers selling Pi’s for 200+

Can’t say anything about the firmware since I run Estlcam, but if you need larger sheets maybe the LR3 might be better for you. :slight_smile:

Klipper works fine. If you are comfortable doing that, then you won’t have any problems. If you don’t like configuring things, then we have Marlin prebuilt for some boards and you don’t have to change anything.

We like to have an easy path to completion, but we don’t discourage anyone who goes a different way. Go nuts, share your results.

1 Like

What clone are you referring to??

You can also follow along with Neil at New MPCNC build: Primo + Manta MP8 + Klipper in BC, Canada
He, along with some others, are looking at Klipper also.
I started with Klipper, but found that as I did a ‘pause’ to change tool bits, when I ‘resumed’, Klipper would move the head back to the original spot but by moving X, Y, and Z all at the same time which would have moved the bit into the work piece. I couldn’t figure out (at least not yet) how to just have it move X and Y first, then move Z down. I didn’t really want to modify the underlying Klipper code in order to maintain it when there are Klipper updates (that and I know enough about coding to really get myself into trouble :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).
From what I’ve read it seems Klipper is more focused on the 3D printing world and not CNC. Some have tried to get it to work for the CNC world, but it didn’t seem to me that they had the time to maintain when Klipper was updated.
I therefore am currently using Marlin and got a workflow that I’m comfortable with (SVG-> EstlCam->CNCjs->BTT Octopus v1.1 with Marlin on it). I’m very willing to go back to Klipper and help test other’s ideas/macros.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a clone, just a Big Tree Tech (BTT) version of the RPi. I think it has the performance of a Pi 3 (or slightly more) from what I remember.

1 Like

I will see if there is a way to resume in Klipper by moving X/Y then Z. May be possible with a macro change

It called a Pi 4B adapter you can then use their CB1 module or the official Pi CM4 module. The module has all the brains and memory. I have not seen any official CM4 modules and the CB1 has 1 gig of ram with no other options. 1G of memory should not be an issue with Kipper though.

1 Like

It’s essentially a clone. They do use a different processor probably because that is what’s available at a reasonable price. The processesor change is the main reason you need a different OS image, the kernel is different. All GPIO etc works the same and Pi hats plug right in.

I’m not complaining because i have put off numerous small projects because of official Pi’s being sold at 200+ each when retail is about $50. I’d rather have official Pi’s at the normal retail price though.

On the plus side once the CM4 modules are available again you can swap it onto the carrier board and go with a Pi image.

Well larger than what I can do on a my CNC mill. I was actually just looking at the LR3 thinking it may give me more flexibility. I’d have to investigate the different limitations between the two.

Thanks

1 Like

You are welcome. I have a pretty large MPCNC with 545x755mm and am always mad that I can’t just put a 120x60cm sheet under it, so I might actually upgrade to a lowrider. Also, when in the middle, there is always a bit of chatter because the pipes start swinging from the vibrations.
Small parts are also not a problem with the LR, just look at the bee Neilp made. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the same route I’m planning to take, for very similar reasons. I hope to start the physical build over the holidays, but I don’t plan to maintain any klipper code changes if they are needed.
Also may take the option of CM4 if needed.

@N7NJO I try to avoid modifying Klippers code although I have modified it’s stepper enable module to control a brake on my printer when steppers are enabled/disabled. Klipper exposes M18 (motors off) but M17 which turns them on does not exist as gcode so can’t use a macro. I should just ask if they will add it lol

1 Like

Search for “84” in MPCNC.cps. Remove or edit out line, “writeBlock(mFormat.format(84), sFormat.format(0)); // Disable steppers timeout” . Remove Double bump homing from printer config if using sensorless homing. These are the things that took me the longest to figure out. Once set up correctly I would argue it is better than Marlin. Will add my .cfg and .cps file shortly.

1 Like

Wanted to upload my .cgf and .cps files. But says new users cant upload. Worked a long time on this, shame I cant share it. Maybe one day.

You can post a link to it hosted somewhere else. If you can’t post a link, then you need just a few days of activity.

Lets give this another shot. My .cfg and .cps file for MPCNC Primo.

Printer_cfg_skrpro_sensorless_0623.zip (6.8 KB)
MPCNC_Klipper_cps.zip (14.9 KB)

Just curious but if your going through all the work and still using a mainly printer based firmware why not give fluidnc a try as it’s more Cnc driven ?