Estlcam - Preview Time vs Machining Time ~Doubled

Hey guys,

Not a critical issue, but I wanted to get some understanding on the timing that Estlcam generates.

When I load up a file - the Strut Plate and set up all the cuts I get a preview time of about 27 Minutes - which is great, so I sort of work to that number.

The Tool I use incase that is important:

When I go to create the actual gcode though, in this example, it jumps up to 50 minutes.

I’m happy with the cut taking 50 minutes ofcourse, but I was wondering if this was normal Estlcam behaviour or whether I have configured something incorrectly and this post processing when gernerating the gcode is slowing things down.

Have done some Googling and not seeing anyone else mentioning thje time variance so maybe it just is what it is?

What’s been your experience?

The preview and the final gcode output should be the same. Did you change anything to make it cut twice, or twice as many passes? Like change the depth of cut or accidentally add another shape?

The estimate isn’t perfect. It doesn’t know the accelerations on your machine (which always slow it down) or the max speed. So your actual runtime will probably be longer than the estimate. But I would expect it to be self consistent.

1 Like

No changes were made between the preview and final. I did the cut today and actually it finished in 30 min on the dot which was a nice surprise. So in future I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it and see if there is a rough ratio I should keep in mind for timing

Estlcam times seem a bit more like a suggestion than a rule in any case. I usually throw my code into here - g-code simulator - for a last sanity check before running and as a bonus you get another time estimate.

Cool. I ran the same gcode through that tool and it came in at 29 min and 10 seconds (so 50 seconds off)! Thanks for the tip - will be using this moving forward. :slight_smile:

1 Like