EstlCam inside Bottles - Linux - Beta 12 (Currently FREE)

EstlCam inside Bottles - Linux - Beta 12 (Currently FREE)

Version 12 BETA (Free Software) is currently available (12.036) and I wanted to try it out. After install it says… License: Free Test Version. Unclear if that is forever. So if you are the type to not want to support a developer it may be your opportunity. Though supporting helps promote continued development and is encouraged.

Wine (WinE) is a windows emulator. (Pretends to be Windows).
Bottles is essentially an easy-mode interface for Wine.

Bottles Links
Installation - Bottles
Installers - Bottles
AppStore ⋅ Bottles

Bottles – I am on Linux so the older post on MacOS show needed Mac requirements.
[https://forum.v1e.com/t/running-estlcam-on-macos/29851](https://running-estlcam-on-macos)

install bottles
I used Software Manager in Linux Mint and it installs the FlatHub package v 51.9.
Using the SW Manager will keep it automatically up to date during software updates (In theory).

Install EstlCam – the EASY WAY
THIS IS BROKEN – BAD URL TO OLD VERSION - SKIPPING. But documenting just in case someone wants.
if you want to try it anyway
create the bottle
“Install Programs”
Estlcam
You can click the “…” to see the manifest
You can see the download URL and lack of checksum (unsafe? You decide)
The manifest also tells us the only dependency we need to add is: “mono” (a font)
Install the program

Install Estlcam – The Manual Way:
(not that hard if things go normal)
This should work for V11 or V12

Download the desired binary from ESTLCAM yourself.
I grabbed Version 12 BETA (12.036 as of 2023/12/07) - on the main page or https://www.estlcam.de/downloads/Estlcam_64_12036.exe
Note the BETA version says it is FREE after install, if that matters to you. So it may not nag if you do not wish to support the developer.

Open Bottles
+ to create container
name: ETSLCAM 12.036 BETA
Application
after creation
Click far right “>” next to the name.
Go Down and Into Dependencies and install:
mono
(return to previous page)
“Run Executable”
Windows installer starts…
Start Installation
accept defaults

First Launch
IMPORTANT NOTES

• The menu works but you must do things QUICK or it closes. If someoone finds a fix let us know.

• The Tools list looks and works differently. I thought the software was broken. No, the tools list “HEADER” was just moves to the main MENU.

• the BETA Software says it is free. So likely no nagware but will it work forever?

To Start ESLTAM
From the Bottle ESTLCAM 12 page (Says Details at the top)
Programs>Estlcam>Click PLAY (sideways Triangle)

From here we should be good to go. Import tool lists. Etc.

Some interesting areas of bottles you may want:
In the TOP of the Window is “…” for backup/config/duplication
Under “Tools” is useful utilities like CMD Line, Registry Editor.

Sharing Files:
~/Downloads/BottlesShare which is used to share files.
I installed bottles long ago.
I think this was automatically created but I may have done something.
If needed let us know and we can figure it out.

1 Like

Update. I can’t figure out how to save or migrate the tools list.

This post tells me to get them from …drive_c/ProgramData/Estlcam/V11
but when I migrate them to V12 and start the application it doesnt seem to find them.

1 Like

If you haven’t gotten answers from the official EstlCAM forums/support channels, @christian-knuell can occasionally be seen around here, and might be able to shed a little light…

Thanks. Its not a big deal for me, I don’t have many tools anyway and haven’t used it a lot. I’ll just manually enter them. I was doing it more for post completeness to help others. The new tool seems to only accept import as CSV list and the old one doesn’t seem to import and the .dat file copy didn’t seem to work. The main webpage seems to suggest there is a way but that’s all the effort Ill put in on it. If someone else figures they can tack it on to the thread.

Estlcam does not stay free, the nag screen will come.
Regarding the tool list: there is import and open (or sth like that). One of them opens the old tool list, the other does not. Can’t check which though at the moment. :sweat_smile:

Well version 12 BETA when started specifically says: “License: free test version” at the top. So we shall see.

I’ll probably register at some point I just don’t do this stuff very often. I did only 1 small keeper project this year (now 2 if this works). Most of that time was figuring out how to not be stupid and abandoning things. This workflow has a steep learning curve for me. But after evaluating a few different things I am just now coming back here to play with it again. Kiri doesn’t really do the 2D without first making 3D model first which is kind of a pain for a simple svg. FreeCAD is just mind numbingly frustrating difficult. But I may try it for paths again. IDK. Haven’t really tried much of anything else since the learning curve is so steep.

The tool import only has CSV as an option in 12. But 11 doesnt export CSV. So?

That’s what every version says before you unlock it. :sweat_smile:

Then you need to “open”, not import.

Thanks. I just don’t “get it”. I tried “Save” in v11 and “Open” in v12. I only have a list called Standard not default. Not sure if I blew away “default” somehow. That could be the problem here. When I open in 12, It blows away the existing list but doesn’t have my tools and there is no “standard” in the dropdown. I can recover by “open default tool list”.

I had added a few tools which showed me the “Tools Default.dat” changed in v12 to Tools_Def.dat" so I tried to overwrite both tools.dat and Tools_Def.dat but no luck.

I’m just going to enter them manually.

Interesting, I had not yet heard of bottles.

You end up with a lot of them, when you try to get wine working. At least you used to… Goodness know it nearly drove me to drink a few times.

The tool list should have the ending tl.

Yes they do have a .tl extension. But when I use “Tools>Open” menu option and find the mytoolsv11.tl file seems to do nothing but blow away what is already there yet import nothing. I had 3 “New tool” tools in v12 before Open (I just had clicked add a couple times) and only 1 tool in my tool list after Open. Nothing new in the dropdown of lists either. Just “default”. It looks like it blew it all away.

Tools>import only accepts “CSV Lists” in the dropdown for type so you can’;t even try to import a .ti file. I think this is unique to v12.

The .dat files was an attempt to work around the above limitations and sync the files where the data is stored internally by the application. (Link to v1 forum thread in my original post). That doesn’t seem to work either. Even when I changed to (what I believe are) the correct names… Yes I restarted the application after changing the .dat files with no resulting effect.

EDIT: add…
incidentally I just noticed “Marlin” is gone in “CNC post Processer”