Estlcam 12 Alpha

Does this mean other fields are good to 4 decimal places? In 11 you can only input bit dimensions to 2 decimal places, unless I’m missing something. So there is a small rounding done when using fractional bits with a metric workspace.

There is no rounding done for the calculations, just what you see. In German there’s an extra tooltip for it. :slight_smile:

So if I set the bit diameter of a 1/16th inch bit as 1.5875 mm, and the field rounds it to 1.59 mm when I press enter, it’s still calculating with 1.5875 mm? Not that it’s a huge deal, just wondering;)

Has the Resize>DXF function been removed, or just not implemented yet?

1 Like

Yes, we tried that in a different thread. The German tooltip says that if you put 3.175 it shows as 3.18 but is not rounded when calculating, because obviously we don’t do stuff in inches. :smiley:

1 Like

One of my posts with an example of 10 decimal places being viable: Strange things happening on corners and with finishing passes - #19 by dalrun

… The sometimes tool radius equals drawing radius bug in that thread appears to have been fixed in v12.

I was playing with something in v12 and discovered (parts of?) drawings can be right click selected. I’m guessing that’s how all the Select tools work, e.g. right click select and then click the resize tool?

… From Select (before selecting the desired tool, e.g. resize). (Shift) right-click to (de)select one or more drawing elements or Shift right-click drag to select multiple elements.

3 Likes

I find it very annoying that the code function is not in the cam program of V12. Am I the only one?

I have never used it. What sort of stuff do you do with it?
For me start, end, tool change, and plasma do it all.

See my explanation at post 39.

There is already the ability to add custom start/end code. I assume that won’t go away in version 12.

I feel like I’m still not understanding the problem. What am I missing?

Start and End code is only at the beginning and end. I use hand written code at several places in the Gcode.

1 Like

I see. I have never used it but messing with it a bit now I can see how it can be really useful. I might start taking advantage of it too.

You could manually inject a sequence to move to a convenient spot for tool change for example, and you might not want to use the tool change script because you might have “fake” tools (like the same tool at multiple feed rates within the same job is something I do sometimes).

(I seem to have come across what looks like a bug where if the first few operations are custom-gcode, it will duplicate the Program Start code too. But not an issue if a cutting path happens first.)

The location in the Drill tool menu is misleading. I hadn’t realized that it allows G-code to be inserted anywhere in the machining order and I can see how that could be useful. Like Fritz, I’m upset about the loss of functions that I like/count on/use. Missing in v12:

File : Inset (dxf or project file)
Automatic Functions : Solid of Revolution
Drill : Thread Machining
Drill : add custom G-code to machining order

I expected the function in dropdown “Edit”, below “machining order”

1 Like

Remember that it is still an early Alpha. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@christian-knuell

Should I put bugs here, or is there another way you would like them submitted?

There seems to be a problem with pocket/island paths.

Looks good in the main layout window.

Preview only shows part of the pocket. When hitting play, it only moves the shown partial path.

I have included the .E12 file in a zip archive.
Borg_Warner.zip (392.4 KB)

EDIT: The above preview has a pocket depth of 1mm. The below preview has a depth of 3mm. Don’t know if that helps.

2 Likes

Hello Tim,

thank you for the file.
The issue is now fixed with version 12.006
There may however still be wrong calculations in the cache - press “Alt” + “F5” to clear the cache in Estlcam.

Christian

9 Likes

I’d like to draw attention to those two questions again. @christian-knuell

• Will there be an option for inlays? That would be awesome.
  • Also, a native support for five drivers would be great.
  • The last thing that additionally comes to mind would be options for the dogbones, like they discuss here: More elegant CNC dogbones. Are those possible?

Thanks a lot for your time!

1 Like

In V12.0022 it seems not to save the project properly

If possible could you include keyboard shortcuts please?

P for Part
C for Carve
E for engrave etc

It would be a real time saver when doing multiple pocket or island holes.

1 Like