ESP32-Based Grbl CNC Control Board

OK.which pin on the esp32 are you looking at, SPINDLE_ENABLE, SPINDLE or SPINDLE_PWM? On your board both the spindle enable signal and the PWM output is fed into U8…a 3 to 5v level shifter, I found the spindle_enable function was reversed such that it went LOW on enable which cut off the spindle PWM. A fix was issued to me (fix 431) that corrected the problem by adding the option to reverse the spindle enable high/low in config.h, this resolved the issue and spindle pwm was then available at the interlock pins, but I was wanting to use PWM…you don’t appear to want PWM, just on/off.
I suggest you use Spindle_enable signal, available on esp32 pin GPIO32 and link that to R5 inste ad of the spindle signal to just drive the relay…it gets around having to play with the min and max spindle rpm to frig the pwm signal to either on of off, and the issue of U8 cutting the pwm signal off just when you want it on.
Schematic_1p2p1.zip (126.2 KB)

I believe the fix I was given has been included into the main branch but just in case it has not I have uploaded the config.h from the fix config.zip (16.0 KB)

Ah yes…I see now…my mistake. It is confusing though…posting a picture that is not related to the issue

1 Like

OK…but did you uncomment //#define USE_SPINDLE_RELAY in mpcnc_v1p2.h? without that, the firmware will think you are going to be using PWM and not utilise the relay.

no I had not uncommented // #define USE_SPINDLE_RELAY
now I can no longer upload to the ESP32
tank

I have found you can get answers to your questions on github. That might be the best way to solve your problem.

There is also a buildlog slack were you get answers usually the same day.

OK…well that might explain why the relay wouldn’t work. I find sometimes the ESP32 dev boards are a little tricky to get into programming mode…perseverance is required. If your ESP32 is busted and you want to buy a new one I would strongly recommend you get one that uses the CP2102 USB to serial chip and not the CH341.

Can anyone with a GRBL board test to see if Easel web-based software connects and can run the machine? That software is dead simple for what I need it to do and free. Will be switching my RAMBo/marlin board as soon as I can find a suitable GRBL alternative.

Thanks!

Have you looked at Bart Dring’s boards?

I tried…both a bare uno/cncshield that came up in windows as com21 and my cantilevered laser machine which comes up as com14…both GRBL1.1f…neither would connect with Easel as other(GRBL).
Perhaps it is to do with the driver I use for my (counterfeit) arduinos?.. I have to use a CH340 driver and just maybe Easel is looking for the bona fida Arduino driver?. I tried installing the downloaded Easel driver but windows is quite happy with the CH340 driver and wont install a 32bit driver on my 64 bit win7

…however, I was able to manually select the correct com port and got Easel to send gcode to the nano based controller…so it looks like you are in luck…Easel will work with an uno/cncshield…

…and that is quite a nice piece of free software, especially with the add on apps…thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks! For making basic 2d carvings like signs it’s great. Cuts out all the time I spend in Fusion360 on simple projects. Can also function as a code sender. Somewhat limited in the free version, but you get 2 free days a month, and that’s probably fine for my needs.

Looks like I’m about to head down a CNC Shield rabbit hole. Any advice? I have an Uno lying around already…do I just need to wire up one of the sub-$20 shields from Amazon?

Also looks like I can snag a Sainsmart controller with GRBL for $25 online. Might even be easier.

Hello I finished the station finally it works well

That’s good news, how did you resolve your problem?

uncommented // #define USE_SPINDLE_RELAY

here is another new board that use esp32 + expander chip

2 Likes

Do you have any details?.. I wonder what the RJ11 is used for.

1 Like

To phone home?

1 Like

Fax in an image for plotting/engraving? That would be a fun hack :smiley:

1 Like

A compact version is here 510x10 cm only with some goodies compare to the original from Bart:

• embedded ESP32UE 8M=64mbit with external antenna to improve WiFi/ bluethooth coverage
  • Glass Fuse to protect the board
  • 3 LED (red) Vmot, (green) 5V and (blue) 3.3volt for easy power visual check
  • TTL serial port (2.54 4pin on version C red color board or USB A connector on version D white color board)
  • USB serial port (micro USB)
  • Adopt a new switching power converted and bring up to 50 Volts DC power input for high voltage stepper motor controller.
  • Add RESET pin on ESP32
  • Add connectors to directly use external stepper drivers.
  • all config jumper accessible without removing any extension board
    Version D give direct cable connection to our touch screen pendant (USB A-A)
    sell on tindie
    and a combo (controller board and pendant) here[combo kit