Error: All Low (X stepper not responding)

Recently, i started getting this error. not sure how as it was working fine previously.
My Z and Y motors run ok. My X axis doesnt seem to work.
Done a M122 Command and i get this:

X	Y	Y2	Z	Z2
Address		0	0	0	0	0
Enabled		false	false	false	false	false
Set current	1000	1000	1000	1000	1000
RMS current	994	994	994	994	994
MAX current	1402	1402	1402	1402	1402
Run current	17/31	17/31	17/31	17/31	17/31
Hold current	13/31	13/31	13/31	13/31	13/31
CS actual	13/31	0/31	13/31	13/31	13/31
PWM scale					
vsense		0=.325	0=.325	0=.325	0=.325	0=.325
stealthChop	false	false	false	false	false
msteps		16	256	16	16	16
interp		true	false	true	true	true
tstep		max	0	max	max	max
PWM thresh.					
[mm/s]						
OT prewarn	false	false	false	false	false
triggered
 OTP		false	false	false	false	false
pwm scale sum	15	0	15	15	15
pwm scale auto	0	0	0	0	0
pwm offset auto	36	0	36	36	36
pwm grad auto	14	0	14	14	14
off time	4	0	4	4	4
blank time	24	16	24	24	24
hysteresis
 -end		2	-3	2	2	2
 -start		1	1	1	1	1
Stallguard thrs	0	0	0	0	0
uStep count	152	0	152	104	152
DRVSTATUS	X	Y	Y2	Z	Z2
sg_result	0	0	0	0	0
stst			*			
olb				*	*	*
ola				*	*	*
s2gb						
s2ga						
otpw						
ot						
157C						
150C						
143C						
120C						
s2vsa						
s2vsb						
Driver registers:
		X	0x80:0D:00:00
		Y	0x00:00:00:00	 Bad response!
		Y2	0x80:0D:00:C0
		Z	0x80:0D:00:C0
		Z2	0x80:0D:00:C0
Testing X connection... OK
Testing Y connection... Error: All LOW
Testing Y2 connection... OK
Testing Z connection... OK
Testing Z2 connection... OK
TMC CONNECTION ERROR

Says my “Y” Connection is “Error: All Low”
But yet my Y works if i move Y on TFT display, likewise for Z. But if i move X there is no response from stepper motor.
I have confimred wiring is working by temp switching motor to see if the stepper is functioning which it is.
Im using Marlin Marlin 515DL 2.1.1 Firmware for Dual setup.
Any advice?
This is on a SKR pro V1.2 board. Both “MOTOR POWER” & “POWER” are running on 24VDC.
All 2209 Drivers have the pin bent. (I tried a replacement X Driver which didnt resolve the issue).

This is telling you that the driver installed in the Y position is not communicating for some reason. Bad stepper driver, bad board, or similar. I’d try swapping the X and Y steppers and seeing if the bad response follows the stepper or stays in the same spot.

Which type of machine is this? A lowrider? I’d expect based on the error above that you’d have trouble moving one of the Y steppers.

Maybe start by doing the driver swap, and see what you get for both motion and M122.

Ok so i have swapped all drivers.
Still error is at same position.
What i dont understand is that my Y axis is functioning correctly and its my X axis thats the issue.
I rechecked the connections, pushing firmly down on all drivers.
I have the X axis working in only one direction for a moment. Pressing X- 10mm or X+10mm moved it towards home regardless whether it was X- or X+. But once i did a reboot. it stopped working again and back to X not working at all and error:all low with the same M122 output as above.

That points to a board problem then, very low possibility it’s something wrong in stepper wiring.
Can you post a picture of your board with wiring?

Nothing looks obviously wrong in that picture at first glance,

Can you pull the stepper drivers and post a picture of the board with no steppers in it, and another picture with the bottom side of all the stepper drivers?

While I’m studying your pictures, let’s see the bottom side of the TMC2209 drivers, not just the SKR

So far nothing is jumping out as obviously bad but it takes a while to scan through these.

One thing that ight be worth trying is to make sure that bent sensorless homing pin can’t short to anything when installed in the SKR. I think we’ve had that happen a couple of times. They fold up right where the big 35v capacitors are on the board. Can you cover those with some insulative tape and re-install the TMC2209 drivers, then retest?

ok, covered Capacitors with Insulation tape.
Still no go.

Have also tried re-uploading default firmware:
V1CNC_SkrPro_DualLR_2209

Still same error.

Well, bummer. Let’s see if anyone else has any suggestions.
The only other thing that is quck/easy to try would be to pull the stepper motor wires off the board and see if the problem remains. Maybe also try an M119 just to be sure the endstops are happy.

Those last two are somewhat long odds of helping.

It’s looking increasingly like this is a problem with the SKR board.

My M119 command shows:

Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
y_min: open
y2_min: open
z_max: TRIGGERED
z2_max: open
z_probe: open

As Z is already in home position so i expect either z_max or z2_Max to be triggered.

I pulled all the drivers off to see if the error occurred. which is does as it then says “Error: All Low” on all connections.
Im just confused why the “Y connection” has this error but Y axis works and only my X axis is not working but yet it says “X connection… OK”.

Steps i have taken:

1. Have tried with all drivers disconnected - Same Error
  2. Have tried with all the stepper motors disconnected - Same Error
  3. Have tried with both stepper motors and drivers disconnected - Same Error
    Have replaced all drivers with ones from another working system and repeated steps 1,2 & 3 - Same Error.
    Running out of idea’s now.
    Im leading towards replacing the SKR board (which i really don’t want to do).
    I will give it a couple of days and hear everyones thoughts before going down this path.

It’s a little hard to tell which stepper this is referring to. But I’m going to guess X because:

X is the only one with C0 in the last byte.

Those flags are for “open loop” meaning there is a wiring problem between the X driver and the motor. On coil A and coil B. If you swap the cables at the skr, I bet the other motors works with X.

Unfortunately, the movement is sent to the drivers one way, on the step, en, dir pins. Even if that is still working, the Y won’t work well unless the skr can configure it. And you’ll get fun skr errors if it can’t read it. So this still has to be fixed.

It isn’t power (they are all powered the same). The jumpers look like they are all in the same spots. If you swap drivers, the Y port is the one that still is all low. That really points to the skr pro.

The soldering looks fine to me. You flashed with firmware from MarlinBuilder releases?

If all that is checking out, the last things could be a bad trace on the skr pcb or a bad pin on the st microcontroller.

You could change the firmware to move the Y driver to the E2 port. First, make sure you can compile and flash the firmware from MarlinBuilder releases without any changes. Then open the specific pins file and swap the numbers from Y and E2. Then move the driver and cable to E2. I know compiling firmware can be intimidating. There is a guide at: platformio.

Or replace the skr pro. I would want to solve the mystery first though. There is always a chance we missed something and it isn’t the skr pro.

ok so are you suggesting to check the X wiring from skr board to the X motor?
Would this still register even when i disconnected all stepper motor wiring and 2209 drivers, its still populating a all low on Y Connection?

You mentioned that X is the only one with C0 in the last byte:
However im seeing X & Y with 00 and Y2, Z, Z2 with C0
Driver registers:
X 0x80:0D:00:00
Y 0x00:00:00:00 Bad response!
Y2 0x80:0D:00:C0
Z 0x80:0D:00:C0
Z2 0x80:0D:00:C0
“If you swap drivers, the Y port is the one that still is all low. That really points to the skr pro.”
this was tried and Y port remained low with and without wiring and drivers. So is this suggesting the SKR board is the issue?

Im wondering if regardless with or without the drivers/wiring if that fault remains in eeprom until its resolved?

No, marlin doesn’t use EEPROM that way as far as I’ve ever seen.

Whatever you see after power up is what’s currently happening.

Well then, if it is producing the error even when there are no drivers/motors connected and previous errors aren’t stored until rectified. I’d say it must be the SKR board that’s gone?

That’s what it looks like to me.
You could try the suggestion of moving your motor wiring around, or ohming out your stepper otor harnesses to be sure there aren’t any shorts.

If I were you, my next steps would be to try a replacement controller.

I think you have two problems:

1. Something is wrong in your wiring for the x motor.
  2. Something is wrong with the Y port on your skr pro board.

You can confirm these by checking the X wiring and either replacing the skr pro, or swapping the pins in the firmware.

It looks like you changed the results in the first post of M122. That’s very confusing.

That entire status report from M122 is generated by Marlin from the registers reported from each driver. The ola/olb flags are reset when you toggle the power. They sometimes don’t get set (turned to stars) until you enable that motor (which happens when you jog that axis).

You’re getting completely different results now and the thing has been taken apart. Let’s be clear when those results change and what you changed to get the different results. Or we will be chasing ghosts for days.

Apologies, yes that’s the latest update after I reinstated everything. As I was pulling everything apart etc.
So the above is the latest.
If something is wrong with the “Y port” wouldn’t my Y axis stop working or not be responsive?
I’m going to look at my X wiring, however I did swap this with another port on skr board (one of the Z motor ports) and the x motor does move x- and x+ (obviously along with one of the Z motors). Wouldn’t that test confirm that the X wiring is ok?