Engraving Steel - Mustard laser experiment

No but you can cut blue painters tape…

Not sure painters tape would be an effective etching mask though

1 Like

I went looking for that video thinking he had cut vinyl with the laser lol. I didn’t remember that it was blue painters tape, but did remember him not wanting to poke the bear for the cricut lol

I think I’ve heard that cutting vinyl makes cyanide gas…

Good thing I have a cricut then :smiley:

Burning PVC makes chlorine gas. I hope to never find out which is worse.

2 Likes

I wonder if my swimingglasses and the charcoal mask will protect me against such! (The room with the Primo and laser has air fan out. It’s like staying INSIDE a laser box.)

Worse than being dangerous- it’s not even effective!

4 Likes

It’s OK, you won’t live long enough after the first to try the second. :open_mouth:

I am aghast watching some “influenzas” (not the well known responsible ones) saying things like - “I probably should be doing this outside!”

It would want to be a pretty big fan!

Ya know… This thread reminded me that I need to replace the plastic grid I’m using with a metal one.

Just ordered it. I have a lot of leather cutting coming up soon for the wife.

Just be cautious it’s actually leather, not PU "leather "

1 Like

Ugh. No clue. I’ll have all the doors open on the shop with fans going either way. My laser has a 12" fan that runs continuously pointing at the back open door anytime it’s running. I also usually have an oscillating fan blowing at my back towards the laser. I’ll wear a carbon mask while burning this stuff just in case.

Sadly, that won’t help the 4 test burns I did yesterday. But it was pretty breezy through the shop. I didn’t ‘smell’ anything while burning them.

I should really work on enclosing the laser and exhausting it straight out the shop.

Add one more thing to my ‘things to do’ list.

Bone is not good either or antler fans and open doors and windows. I moved .y laser to the garage while doing anything but wood :wood: :relieved:

1 Like

One of my old award making clients refuses to engrave on antler anymore. :rofl:

Yes it is realy nauseating and it lingers the smoke is sticky yuck

Which seriously is why my laser is still waiting for me to commission it. It’s one of those better be safe than sorry times, despite the fact that zillions of people “get away with it”.

And this coming from a person who has the blade guard permanently removed from his table saw! :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

The only time i remove the blade guard is to dado and use the assembly table. I even went to pocket screws for cabenet boxes to avoid that. That thing scares me to much.

My table saw never even had one. I mean… I’m sure it came with one, but my grandfather probably tossed it in the trash along with the box the saw came in.

Sadly, the splitter that goes behind the blade was also in that box. That’s one thing I wish the table saw still had.

1 Like

Mine is still new in the box somewhere. Never once installed it lol. This one will get me yelled at but I don’t even run a riving knife lol. I took it off when I put the zero clearance insert on the saw.

1 Like