Early Adopter here

Thanks Ryan and Jeffeb3. I loaded the latest firmware and marlin was nothing but errors. XLoader worked great. Platform.io not so much. I ended up changing the acceleration settings because even with air prints I could tell I was loosing steps. I set this to 15 (from 35) and all is well now. I had to set my Z Steps to 3200 (not 800) to get 10mm of movement. Not sure why, but at this point dont care. She was working great before, so if shes back to normal, I’m a happy camper. Thanks again for all your assistance.

2 Likes

Ah. You got a 1-start leadscrew. The more common leadscrews are 4 start. That explains the max speed and the steps per mm.

What dod you change to 15? The Z max speed? That might still be a bit high for a 1-start.

2 Likes

Yeah, for z max. Seemed ok during the test. It’s temporary, I’ll get the proper leadscrew soon. That was one that I’ve had laying around for years.

** Different question though……

I’m thinking of setting up another smaller machine for longer runs that WONT be connected to a pc. I use scrips in Repetier Host now to define X and Y coordinates from start, set all axis to zero etc

Can I run scrips from the ramps lcd? (I’ve never had the LCD.)

Or, seems you have a set up with raspberry pie and your phone, that may be an option, but I’m trying to get away is cheaply as possible to be honest. I just need the ability to run a couple basic scripts for tool changes and run from SD.

You can compile in custom macros. But you need to be able to use platformio for that. You can put small gcode files on the sdcard for whatever you want. There are already some custom commands and a reset all coordinates to zero buttons.

V1pi works too. The pis are really hard to find right now for their MSRP. I have some alternatives on order to test. But they all take a few days to a few weeks to get here. Not sure when I will get support for them up.

I’ve been doing some 3-D carvings recently and the stock firmware seems painfully slow even with my speeds at 50 mm/s. So I’m wanting to monkey around with possibly the jerk settings to speed it up. This is really more of a test so I’m not looking for anything set in stone but what’s Something I can try just as a test? It’s running the latest revision atm.

The Z axis is limited much lower than 50mm/s I think it is at 15. Start with increasing the max Z speed. If that is not enough for you to carefully test the MAx acceleration your Z axis can handle, then decrease it at least 20%.

You should not have to touch junction deviation, or scurve. We don’t use Jerk anymore.

1 Like