Dying jackpot

Does anyone know if there is a warranty on the cards? Mine is not very old and it’s starting to act up. I’m back to regular ‘low memory’ errors, IIRC I had to update right after I bought it to fix that problem. But it’s back.

Trying to move it last night and it’s roughly trying to double the directed movements and wanted really badly to shoot off the table entirely. That’s going from turned on, then freshly homed, and the gcode is for absolute not relative.

It randomly goes completely unresponsive and “No SD card” error is becoming pretty regular.

Resetting the firmware through the interface sometimes fixes the problem but I’m powering off/on pretty often to get it back to working.

I haven’t touched anything on the board since I got it up and running, no changes to wiring etc. The rapid move just takes the tool to the center of the table, but it was bouncing off the far rail instead. That code has not been modified at all, I’ve used it a bajillion times.

I was cutting yesterday, instead of shutting down and return to origin when it was done it just ignored the gcode and sat in place with everything powered up, unresponsive entirely. off/on fixed it.

I’m not sure what to do here, it was working pretty well and now I’m thinking “I wonder if it’s going to work” every time I start it up now.

Which firmware are you running? Might not be a bad idea to update it as there have been a fair amount of fixes lately. @vicious1 or @Michael_Melancon will know a lot more about that than me

It sounds like the EPS32 might have a problem. The rest of the controller is not likely to be the cause.

Do you have another ESP32 you could program and install?

Mike

Please post a picture of your wiring, and it would be good to show us your $SS from the terminal as well.

By chance are you running a vacuum hose that is not grounded?

Excluding yesterday when it just froze at the end of a cut, It’s happening before anything is actually run and it’s been powered down for at least a day, no vacuum, no static.

I’ve only got the board as it came.

I don’t remember, it’s running atm, ill see if i can find it when it’s done.

1 Like

You’re running 3.7.11 I would update it for sure. I believe a lot of the issues you are having were fixed starting at 3.7.12 and I think Ryan has been successfully running 3.7.15 for a little while now.

1 Like

Agree, 3.7.12 is stable for sure and 3.7.15 seems to be stable as well. I don’t remember anything about 3.7.11

FluidNC uses a pretty loose release cycle so testing takes some time. I was still testing 15, when 16 just came out. If they do see an issue they do not always pull the current release so unfortunately it takes some time to test and be sure of how stable it is.

1 Like

Trying to move it how? That’s a strange one. What are you using to move it and generate gcode?

G00 x# y#, I have a macro set that moves from home to the table center. At least that’s what is supposed to do, done it a bajillion times. Then it started throwing soft limit errors, which was new. So I shut them off to see what it was trying to do, and it just went rapid + until it hit the rails and I shut it down. After power off/on, it worked again. I just finished a cut today, homed and tried to send it back to center and soft limits again.

I’m not doing anything different than I normally do, but it’s not acting the way it normally does.

Try adding a feedrate. Maybe your default rapids are set too high.

Did you update the firmware?

Have you made any changes to your configs from default?

Are you using AP or STA mode?

Not yet, I’m going to have google for the firmware. It’s updated since I bought it, but it’s apparently not the most recent version. The concern is that when I bought it, it wouldn’t work and was ‘low memory’ which resolved after the update, but now it’s back along with the other new behaviors. I run it probably every other day and I’ve set macros for the repetitive stuff I do every time, and none of those have been changed. It’s been fairly reliable until recently. The SD card was bought new, it’s name brand and I never remove it so the contacts/traces etc shouldn’t have any damage that would contribute to read errors.

The only changes I’ve done from default was to double the steps on the Z, since my screw is different, and turn on the soft limits at the outer edges of the table. I’m not trying to be creative or wring out the very last ounce of performance, I’m just wanting predictability.

I’m using whichever mode goes directly from PC to Jackpot, not through my network. I relocated one of my computers to the garage just for the cnc.

I highly recommend you run the gcode from the sd card and not over USB. The Jackpot does not run over the network, it hosts it own site you use to trigger it to use its on board code for macros and files, running over USB adds it’s own set of troubleshooting.

Over USB your cable could be going bad with all that repetitive motion, and running of the board itself means even if your internet or router goes down the job sill still finish and there is no cable to worry about connection or computer issues (like sleep, or power savings settings).

FluidNC is changing fast, and the release cycle is very open with no RC or bugfix branch to test. Things like this can happen. I had my machine stop using the SD during testing on a recent branch but the job finished just fine. Updated and seems fine ever since. I can’t pretend to understand it fully but I do know an update is simple and fast. Each time things get better and better.
Your settings and macros can also be retained but I suggest you back them up and do a full wipe and format on the ESP then put your files back…if you still have an issue I would say your settings are to blame and something might have gotten changed unexpectedly (easy to do if you are not careful).

I am unclear what you are looking for, the instructions and links are here, Jackpot CNC Controller - V1 Engineering Documentation.

Currently, I suggest 3.7.12 (with the UI v2), if you want the last version that seems to have had no complaints. There was a report that 3.7.16 fixed and issue for someone but I have yet to test it extensively.

The gcode is stored on the SD and run from there. Nothing is actually controlled outside the card besides telling the card to run the code. I’m wireless between the 2, no USB cable. So I upload to the SD and everything is there. I’m entirely off my local network, it’s just the PC and the jackpot talking to each other. I run each file after uploading to make sure it’s correct and then it lives on the card forever. Besides 1 or 2 failed uploads that I have to restart, there’s been no errors.

I haven’t been to the v1 site for links, I was just going to search for ‘fluidnc firmware’ and see what was newest.

Here’s the link to the FluidNC releases: Releases · bdring/FluidNC · GitHub

As Ryan said, there have been MANY improvements to FluidNC since version 3.7.11.
I am running 3.7.16 and haven’t had any issues.