Dust collector chip seperator

Cool. That’s pretty awesome. I would love to buy some property with a big ass barn and live in a trailer next to it. I don’t think the logistics would work out with the kids amd wife. I guess I prefer the suburbs for now.

The details escape me now… but I ran 240v power from a 50a house breaker to my barn/workshop through doubled-up 12-2 w/ gnd Romex. I then put a small breaker box in the workshop to split out the two 120v phases. I had to travel about 100’… put the Romex in 1" PVC water pipe in shallow trench. More power transfer through smaller, cheaper wiring. Rural setting, no codes… that was in 1982 and have never had a problem; i.e. it’s still going strong today.

I have a conduit running under the concrete between house and garage here. You can see it running up the side in this image. I had the electrician pull wire and put a 40A box in with both 240 and 120 available. It give me nice clean power and enough breaker space to have several different circuits. There are currently three 15A circuits with outlets along the windowed wall, a lighting circuit that covers the main lights, a power circuit between the door and the left side of the building (currently used only for that camera), a lighting circuit that covers the storage closets along the left side of the building and a 240V circuit that’s also on the wall that has the door. I’ve got more power than room… :slight_smile:

[attachment file=67581]

2018_08_27_12_27_11_163.bmp (2.64 MB)

That seems pretty nice.

It’s time for you guys to revolt, why continue using this stupid 120V which causes so many problems?

Join the good side of the force and experience the 240V power, as we do in Europe and in several other less good places around the world. Far more difficult to pop a breaker here.

And while you’re at it, please adopt a decent measuring system.

2 Likes

There are two kinds of countries in this world: Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon!

7 Likes

Dui for President!!!

2 Likes

When I bought the place it was a car port, open on two sides, but with a roll up garage door on the front. :slight_smile: I think one of the previous owners had gotten a really good deal on a door. I put walls in and skinned it to turn it into a garage instead of a car port but really wish it were about twice the size.

It’s been a while, but I finally got to making a thein baffle for this thing, which should encourage chip separation. It’s 1/2" piece of ply and the ID of the barrel is about 18.5". I have a bunch of 5/16" hardware, so I cut some allthread to hold it to the lid.

I’m guessing this was one of the fastest projects on the LR so far. It was really quick to CAD, and CAM. And only 18mins or so of cut time. I happened to somehow find all the tools right away and besides the time it took to cut the allthread, it went pretty quick.

[attachment file=86972]

[attachment file=86973]

[attachment file=86974]

Crap! I don’t think I updated the barn project anywhere did I? Anyway, I have 200 amps to play with now, and solar!

Damn short days…

[attachment file=87007]

2 Likes

Whoa! Nice upgrade.

Well I want both of these upgrades, a bigger dust bucket and solar!

I can see why there are so many youtube videos of dust separators I am kind of addicted. I would love to know how to do flow simulations a little better so I might try and get super nerdy on a design. But honestly I bet it is hard to mess up. Does the new thein work well? My bucket one seems to work perfect except my vac is covered in the ultra fine dust so I am wondering if there is a tuning for particle size or maybe the cones do better with fine dust? Not sure but I am really kinda fascinated by them now. I think a vac manufacturer that builds one in is going to make a load of cash.

Uhhh…I want solar. Once that snow melts and the juice really starts to flow it will almost be magic. I am really close to getting a larger shop so I will be saving my pennies for solar next!

1 Like

I think solar works well in the snow. It’s more efficient when it’s cold, there’s just less sun in the winter.

I haven’t tested the thein well enough yet. I get plenty of suction, but I can tell you that before I installed it, not much of the dust was staying in the bucket. I have mine venting outside and I’d see a puff of dust whenever I turned it on. Remind me to update you later.

I vent mine outside, but normally another huge component is filtering out the tinyest stuff. I bet its also the hardest to catch at the source. So much so that people often have separate air filters that just circulate air in the shop through a fine filter. I also think the fine stuff is the real damger to your health. Companies like Jet make boxes you can mount on the ceiling and jay bates has a pretty cool looking one that uses a squirrel cage fan, like you’d find in a furnace.

Yep, the finest stuff will still get through, even with a cyclone separator. That’s why even Dyson vacs have a hepa filter in them. Blowing it outside is the easiest way to deal with it, if you can do that. Pretty sure Ryan can’t given he’s in a condo I think? I could probably skip all the filtering and just blow the chips out into the field beside the barn and no one would care.

Prop 65 warning. The state of California has determined that Barry causes cancer.

1 Like

I can attest that a cyclone greatly improves fine particle separation. I built a cyclone for my shop vac and while sanding sheetrock, some dust still gets to the filter it is nothing compared to the bucket full under the cyclone. I think a canister filter with a beater and bag under a thien baffle or cyclone is the way to go but it takes up so much room.

Actually the state of California causes cancer, Proposition 65 is just a cover up!

1 Like

I think we found the new name for the next machine or revision “prop 65” MPCNC 65, bolt counter 65, zen 65.

Yeah the garage right now is 3 brick walls, so no poking holes. I think I might add a filter bag to the vac. Probably take a year to get dirty enough to have to replace it after the bucket.

Brick isn’t that hard. I drilled a hole out of a jail the other day with battery powered tools!

1 Like

You sure you should be sharing that information publicly el chapo?