Dual air nozzles for metal machining

I’m working on a set of nozzles (dual) that attaches via the tool mount. Everything except the compressor fittings coming in is 3d printed, including the flexible hose.

Everything is done with standard NPT fittings, so you can replace the 3d printed hose with a premade deal if you want.

Hoping to have this for the dewalt mount as well, I don’t use the 660 anymore but I still have one I can test with. Mounts to the upper mount.

6 Likes

It looks very good, but can’t see the context. I’m missing something I’m sure. Is it to blow the debris away?

I am intrigued by the flexible hoses as well?

Thanks

Rob

You want good chip evacuation. You don’t want to work harden your piece because of cutting against your chips as well

Here’s the general idea, although I’m not really impressed with the hose sections off thingiverse. They do work, but they’re finicky to keep positioned. I may get them angled where I need them and add a dab of glue.

3 Likes

I’m printing the bracket that actually lines up with he upper mount, I had to adjust the height thats why its not lined up.

1 Like

@Bobbond000 That’s slick. How are the printed parts holding up to the air pressure? Are you getting a lot of leakage or are you regulating it down?

1 Like

A dip in some poly would hold them in place and also seal them to get rid of leaks. Although I would guess it isn’t a huge deal since there is so much air with enough pressure and a big hole where you want the air to go.

What kind of pump are you using? I would like something that is smaller, doesn’t have a tank, and isn’t super loud. I have experience with fish tank pumps, but they are very low volume. I have an air compressor for nail guns, but I don’t want to dedicate one of those to the cnc. Maybe something designed for an air brush or paint sprayer would work? I know dkj uses a coleman pump designed for air matresses, but mine sounds like a jet engine.

1 Like

My garage has a 2 stage 80gal compresssor.

This is on the low pressure side post valve so theres no real buildup of pressure.

It leaks as much as the store bought unit of the same design. Not really an issue.

1 Like

:drooling_face:. I need to do that. My garage is attached to my basement with a partial wall. I could plop a compressor in the basement, put a drop or two there, and a few drops in the garage. I don’t use it often enough to leave it on all the time. Maybe a 3 way wiring switch so I can turn it on/off when I’m using it. What do I do with moisture? Do I just drain it every few weeks? Do I need a special water remover thing?

1 Like

I’m still trying to sort that out. I run a water separator at the tank, another at the valve, its still not enough and I end up with a ton of water in the line and tank after a day of cutting.

I’m going to try and print a separator setup for the low pressure side and see if it helps.

No it makes sense, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Looks very alien in that colour :slight_smile:
Rob

There are lots of ways to manage moisture in a compressed air system. The primary problem is that the air gets hot while being compressed and hot air holds more moisture. Cooling the air gets the vapor to condense to liquid so it can be collected and drained off.
Intercoolers are basically radiators that sit between the compressor pump and the tank trying to get the air cooled. Some folks run a coil of copper tubing, either between compressor and tank or after the tank, to let the air cool and vapor condense, with a tee and a drain at the low point. Running the coil though a bucket of ice water is not uncommon. Less common is running it though a refrigerator, like a dorm mini fridge. Commercial shops run air driers that are basically the fridge setup on steroids.
When the air hits the tank is another common place for the vapor to condense, which is why a drain is provided. Most come from the factory with a little petcock that is hard to reach and fiddly to operate. A street elbow, long nipple and ball valve will get things to where you can easily reach and a quick 1/4 turn lets you drain things.
You can get an auto drain too. These can be electrical and run on a timer, or run on air pessure teed off from the compressor head unloader valve. I’m using one of these from harbor freight but had to replace the plastic tubing it supplied with copper after the plastic melted twice.
I also have a water seperator between my tank and shop lines. If it doesnt get a chance to do so earlier the vapor may condense in the line/hose to the tool. Permanent installations often include water catch legs and drains on each leg.
Finally you can incude a water filter/seperator at the tool.

5 Likes

I have 2 water separators just off the tank. One is media, the other is cyclone. I have another media filled drier at the end of the hose along with a smaller filter type separator.

After a a day of running aluminum machining, the 50ft hose is filled, my driers are both filled with water, and there’s at least a gallon in the tank to drain. Which I do every day.

I’m going to try a cyclone setup on the low pressure side before the nozzle next

1 Like

Just what I was looking for, is this available to DL anywhere? Was looking on Thingiverse for something like it.