Dragon's Lair Arcade Game!

I’m digging the spaceship in the foreground. I wish I’d had cool toys like that growing up.

That spaceship has a sneaky feature. It has a blue tinted LED light inside, and it produces enough UV to make the glow in the dark stars shine extra bright. I don’t know how we discovered it, but the favorite play mode with it is to shut off all the lights, and use the LED to charge the stars and then look at them glowing.

3 Likes

Mmmm… Pandemic Legacy…

We played it a long time ago (So, not in relationship to this current pandemic). It was probably the best board game I have ever played. It isn’t very grounded in reality (thankfully). So if you’d maybe like to go kick some virus butt, and weren’t all that sensitive to the latest news, I highly recommend it. My wife and I played it basically every night until we finished both seasons.

The X-arcade was the link I was looking for.

My kids are a little too spaced in height to be thinking about a pedestal at this point.

1 Like

that works too, though I just came across Pask Makes video where he makes a wall mounted desk and I thought, “Hmmm, I bet that could be converted into a nice arcade cabinet…” :rofl:

2 Likes

And ladies and gentlemen… The construction is complete! Now for the fun part! Paint, Vinyl, Electronics, Quarters. Lots and lots of quarters.

Nevermind the clamps on the lower marquee panel. It’s actually glued and stapled, I just forgot to take them off for the pic. Also, the back door was put on AFTER the photos…

Funny story… I have to build 2 of these. So as soon as this Coronavirus stuff is less of an issue (I’m diabetic, considered ‘high risk’) I will buy the lumber, and do it all over again! YAY ME!

Things I would do differently for the next one. I’d do it exactly how the original was. Plywood on the bottom, top, 2 back pieces, the scoreboard panel, and the back door.

Why? No real reason, other than to be ‘authentic’. MDF is plenty stout enough. The cab is solid AF, but ya know… Authenticity lol

6 Likes

Those look great. The top one kind of looks like an owl, and the bottom one looks like a winking face with an owl on it’s head.

:owl:
:wink:

2 Likes

HAHA! I do think the bottom on the back looks like a winky face, was thinking that yesterday as I was uploading the photos! Great minds!

I am super excited for it to go from it’s current state, to this…

2fa62a1b5d9987a276ca9fe3044ab213

3 Likes

Great progress so far!

1 Like

Thanks! I"m so very pleased with my LR2, every single piece of the cab was cut on it. Ryan, V1 Engineering, have really put together a solid piece of machinery. I don’t feel like I could mass produce the way the ‘big boys’ can, but I do feel like I can do the same quality work they do. Just takes me a lil’ longer to get there haha!

2 Likes

That’s a real cool thing. I would go for a Space Invadors…
Unfortunately I am not that gifted in woodwork.

Funny story. Me either really. Take away my LR2, and put power tools in my hand, this whole thing would be a disaster. Trust me on that.

But I’m very good in 3D Modeling, and CAD, so making plans comes rather easy for me. And the big ‘win’ with having a CNC machine like the LR2, is that I can draw up the plans in CAD, tell the machine to cut it, and then it all goes together like a puzzle really. Or in some ways, it’s like putting together a model.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I SAW THAT!!! Curious as to what it will be like!

Well, Ryan doesn’t make bad movies, so it should be pretty good.

1 Like

I definitely couldn’t agree more. And he has that whole comedic/sarcastic style. Would work very well in portraying Dirk the Daring!

Question for you gurus out there.

So as my prototype went together exactly as expected. I’m planning to (as I stated earlier in this thread) build the final cab with plywood bottom, back, and top as the original was done. MDF on the front and sides, and interior pieces.

I was looking at the big orange box store, and saw they had ‘cabinet grade’ plywood for like $32, then they had RTD Sheathing for $15 cheaper. For an arcade cabinet, that’s only ever going to be inside, and the bottom, top, or back will never be seen, which would you go with? I can’t speak to the original cabinet as it was destroyed by water. But I do remember there being knots on the bottom of the cab, and there wasn’t ever really a ‘great’ paint job on the plywood parts because you could see the grain through the paint. So should I go cheap and ‘rough’ and get the RTD Sheathing? Or go ahead and go with the cabinet grade?

Annnnnd GO!

1 Like

Who is the customer?

If it’s you, what do you want to look at and think “I shoulda” every time you see it?

2 Likes

That’s true, and looking at the shape of the sheathing… Cabinet grade it is… It’s for my personal collection. I have to build 2, and solid MDF above was to verify my CAD was correct, which is was. Also to verify the LR2 would’t have a problem cutting a full size cabinet, which it didn’t. And I had a butt load of MDF on hand at the time.

As far as MDO, I’m limited here in Mississippi on what kind of lumber is available off the shelf. I could order it I’m sure, but man they always want a mint for the special stuff. That’s the ‘ply core’ stuff with MDF vaneers right?

Does HD or Lowe’s carry it?