Drag knife✒️ and Laser🔫 Etched (Specular) Holograms

Did you try a smaller point of light? I think the wider light is illuminating the entire arc at once.

Sorry. I do aim to get to it. Had a lot going and struggled to stay motivated enough. Maybe tonight. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries, was not meant negatively in any way. Apologies if it seemed so.

1 Like

Got dimensions? Am staring at Fusion currently…

This one?

Wanting the holder to have cutout/notch for the flange?

Dan remixed Ryan’s drag knife holder and added the slits, let me find it. Printables

The second one with the three slits is perfect, but it is still fixed with zip ties. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cheers for link to Dan’s mount, seeing if it’ll work for me as-is without having to remix something. Why do you not use Dan’s? Am using reusable zip ties. Some tool free quick release would be nice.

Edit: Liked Dan’s mount but want reusable ties and ability to attach mini adaptor for mini diamond drag bit.

1 Like

I am using Dan’s, but I don’t have reusable zip ties. :sweat_smile: I also thought about the quick release, but am not good enough at 3D modelling. I would love something like Doug’s with the second part being detachable.

I a currently remixing mine to do two things:

1. Add support for the ridge on the pens sold by V1E.
  2. Add support for the Mount A part to accept either heat inserts or nuts (two versions of the part) so it’s easier to switch which accessory is attached without having to detach the Mount A part.
1 Like

Cheers for the suggestions!

Mounting engraver bit to Makita collet resulted in excessively deep gouged scratches. Instead of simply finding/making a weaker spring :man_facepalming:, instead, I created Mount + Drag bit adaptor (for RDZ engraving bit).

Tried drag mount with point light source, better results, but lighting has to be just right.
VID_20230309_201726

VID_20230309_201726

EstlCam and .SVG if anyone’s interested…
2023-03-05-test.engrave_only.e10.zip (2.8 MB)

test

3 Likes

This is so cool!

2 Likes

That is much better, The inside of the logo is looking pretty solid!

LowRider 3 CNC - Add-on - Drag Knife Holder - designed for LR3 Dust Shoe (v2.1)

I’m currently at work on designing a tool-less changer for accessories that will accommodate remixed versions of this new drag knife mount and my previous pen mount, as well as various related laser mounts, etc. More soon on that.

In the meantime, as requested…

The drag knife sold by the V1 Engineering shop has a ridge on it, that made use of my previous remix unusable for it. This is a mash up of Ryan’s frontend and my remix’s backend. :slight_smile:

DOWNLOAD: Printables

3 Likes

Thanks a lot!!

Really looking forward to this!

Here it is!

LowRider v3 CNC - Tool-less Quick-Change Accessory Holder (v3.0)

https://www.printables.com/model/420517-lowrider-v3-cnc-tool-less-quick-change-accessory-h

4 Likes

Here some of my update, made with fiber laser 50w on stainless steel, it’s takes near 17 sec. to engrave, i have only few minutes for tests so it’s not perfect but have some progress.

d3778707-3ea9-42cc-9c90-445d2a9ddaec

6 Likes

Nice! Nice symbol too. @Ic_In, what do you think of the results? I had to setup the lighting just right to see anything meaningful on the glossy black acrylic I’ve been using. What’s the line thickness and depth?

Was curious what kind of results are possible on laser. I don’t, and probably won’t ever, have access to 50w fiber laser, so it’s great to see your results.

What software are you using?

Update from me… Been hacking away at the app code shared earlier in the topic, but happy to switch to alternatives that are working better for people? Much of the recent hacking has been spent profiling and removing bottlenecks to speed up processing. Am undecided on whether to wrap up into something reliable and usable enough for other folks to use without them frustrated, or end up with too many questions. If someone’s interested in trying out, let me know, cheers!

2 Likes

I definitely am, but time is tight and the drag knife and I haven’t come to an agreement how it is supposed to work. But I’d love to get back to you later. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Quick update showing how to use…

4 Likes

That is a great video!

2 Likes

Have you mounted that laser to the LowRider/MPCNC? Or is it a hole other machine?