Drag Chain Design

Well, I’m actually surprised that works. I kind of built my LR3 a little differently and more old school style. I wasn’t happy with my wire flopping around for the x axis. I had some drag chain laying around so I made a few 3D printed parts and, well, seems to work just fine. Wish I could upload a quick video.

7 Likes

I basically did the same thing with an L-profile. I also think it looks better. :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I dig the look too. Originally, my modified design had the wiring for the x axis just coming out of the center of the gantry. I figured it would just move along with minimal dangling but it turned out to get snagged and just looked sloppy. In my mind I figured it wouldn’t matter where the wiring entered the drag chain but something kept clogging up my thinking that it wouldn’t run the whole distance or it would hang up somewhere if it entered in the middle of the run. But it works fine and looks kind of cool with the angled 3D printed part I drew up.

One of the coolest things about these cnc machines and Ryan’s sharing of everything is that it can all be modified and tinkered with.

1 Like

At the end of the day, the drag chain still makes a full ‘loop’. It’s just what part of the chain overlaps the rest that’s different.

Please do! The servers here aren’t well configured for video, so just upload to youtube, vimeo or google photos and post a link. The server will embed the video if you just put the link on its own line.

Here’s the quick overview of this LR3 version and the drag chain. Cool machine.

2 Likes