Does Your CNC Have A Name?

While tinkering around today I stepped back and thought, you know, this big LR3 should have a name. Anybody named their machine? They almost seem alive at times.

Um, so you’re not going to hear my joking sarcastic tone but,

You haven’t spent must time on the forum, have you!?

Ha. Not really…guess this is familiar territory.

All joking aside, there is a decent number of build threads that have named their MPCNC and LR.

There’s been at least one thread today bumped with the name of the machine in the title.

But now we are all waiting for the name you selected for your’s, and a photo. :blush:

Oh, no worries. I should have done a quick search. Don’t want to be that guy without spending a minute first poking around. The thought just hit me to ask.

Yeah….hmmmm, not sure on the name here. Still pondering.

Mine does not have a name, officially, other than LowRider, but at the start of my latest video (below) I did jokingly refer it as “Spinny Murder Robot” (a tongue in cheek reference to “Bad Robot Productions” - a movie production company).

Leroy, Fred, Garth, Vern, and Ernest are ones I’ve owned or own currently.

The first 3 are Maslow systems, Vern is an mpcnc and Ernest is a mp3dp v4.

My Primo is called Schneewittchen, my LowRider Der Froschkönig. I always think about a theme first. :smiley:

1 Like

For our English speaking fellow makers, I did the trip to Google translate. It says…

Schneewittchen = Snow White

Der Froschkönig = The Frog Prince

I’m a total newbie at this stuff and I’d never considered naming my cnc but as of right now, an appropriate name might be Sleeping Beauty, I hope to wake her up some day, after that, maybe I’ll come up with a new name. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I refer to my Shaper as my Bank-Rutscher (“BenchScooter”) and did start my LowRider build named Nancy Fräser (= Miller) as a side-kick-pun to our much beloved politician… but I have since renamed it to Rocinante’s Songbird. Like Naomi Nagata, the extremely talented engineer of the Rocinante Crew (The Expanse) and also Rocinante, the trustworthy workhorse of Don Quijote… Makes me think of interesting characters when I look at it. :slight_smile:

I try to own my tools for many years (life at best :slight_smile: ) and I find the idea neat to grow kind of a personality on them :slight_smile: Some of them have spent the whole last 20 years with me.

2 Likes

Dude, it’s the Tachi, you stole it from Mars!

THEY borrowed it to escape :wink:

And then it depends on whether you read the books or saw the show why they actually really own it later. :smile:

Did not know there was a show Ăł_Ă’ Is it 200 seasons or how was it done?

It’s on Amazon, 6 seasons until the sixth book… They changed quite a bit, like show Drummer is four people in the book, but since the book’s writers also wrote the show all the changes make sense. The general plot stays untouched, though.

I can highly recommend the series. The casting is spot on. Show Amos is going to be a favourite character.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fgfgl907zty561.gif

1 Like

I could only post a picture of my kindle :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Should have gotten GRR to write the show…

Season 1, Episode 4: The Rocinate suffers a catastrophic micrometeor swarm strike, exacerbated by inter-crew tensions, and all hands are lost due to eventual loss of life support.

Season 1, Episode 5: NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) and FRA (Federal Rail Board) are called in to investigate the derailing of the plot…