DIY CNC money saving trick for Dust Collection: Use normal trash can/bags for HF Collector! LowRider

I shared this video previously, but I’m circling back to say it’s still going strong and working great.

ALSO, and this is new, I shared the work for this on Printables:

Download graphics for CNC work, and printable files for the screw/nut covers I designed and used: Printables

Nice. I also mangled my Harbor Freight dust collector. :grin:

I’m in the stages of planning full automation of my dust collection also. Maybe I’ll make a thread here about it if anyone is interested. No one in my family thinks it’s a cool as I do lol

1 Like

I hear you. LOL :rofl:

I watched your video a while back when I came across it. I’m still undecided on the lifting mechanism for my can.

I think I want to make like a scissor lift or something to hold it up. My can rim fits into a ridge with foam weatherstripping in it.

(Ignore the bits of “reorganization” creeping into the picture :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Nice!

I cannot say enough about the benefits of a pleated cylinder filter. There is a great video about that upgrade, that is made by, I think, Stumpy Nubs.

I intend to get one eventually. At the moment with that Thein baffle in there almost nothing makes it to the bag.

The filters just got so expensive compared to when everyone first started adding them

1 Like

My first time hearing about Thien baffle (my Google search indicated it is spelled with ‘i’ before ‘e’).

Impressive results based on the video he showed! Pretty amazing. Should not be hard to make.

It’s not. I looked it up for a bit and was intrigued by it. There’s lot’s of people that have plans and stuff, but I just kinda winged it.

Got some of that 1/8" polycarbonate and screwed it to the sides and sealed it a bunch with silicone.

Before that I had a little small WEN blower on it and it made a big difference not having to empty that bag so often

I couldn’t remember for sure and was too lazy to look it up :slight_smile:

I didn’t make plans for mine, but I probably have some pictures somewhere from when I put it together…

The thing I like the most is that it stops any big chips, screws, etc from striking my impeller, and stops planer/jointer shavings from clogging up the impeller inlet

1 Like

Seems I wasn’t in a picture taking mood that day…maybe because the game was on :slight_smile:

I have this picture near the end of assembly

and one with the sketch of the opening

and complete

The only trick to it is getting the beginning of the hole that the dust falls in lined up so that it starts a bit away from the inlet. You want the hole to be on the main part of the travel path of the sawdust.

I also printed another part like what is on top and have that on the inside pointing down to try to stop any dust from getting sucked in too easily.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pics and the details!!

I converted my HF DC into a thien baffle setup. I have the motor after the TB like you. But I then just went outside on the side of my shop away from my door. There isn’t anyone out there that would be bothered by it. And I’m not running a cabinet shop 50 hours a week.

2 Likes

I considered doing that, but I was concerned with sucking the cool/heat out of my shop in 2 minutes :slight_smile:

I figured it would let my air flow better, but I didn’t want to spend half a day trying to warm up my shop in the winter to suck it all out in a few minutes.

I don’t know if it would, but the complaints about that were 50/50, so I was cautious.

2 Likes

Good point. My space is a detached building with no HVAC.