Dimensions and spaces for Table

Hi,

I am planning to convert an old couch table with a 130cm x 70cm glass-top into a ZenXY v2 table.
Currently, I am in the ordering/sourcing phase and would like to get it most of the things right in my first attempt. This is why I would like to get some recommendations from folks, who already built this great table. The questions mainly concern the box that contains the mechanics and electronics.

How much space should be planned in between the sand-plate and the glass-plate on top?

What is an acceptable thickness for the sand plate so that the magnet is still able to pull the ball?

With how much elevation should LED light-strips be mounted in order to get good lighting for the whole working area?

It would be great if you would share your build know-how/experience!

Thanks
Martin

1 Like

There isn’t any equations for any of this. Even the most experienced of us have built only a few tables.

The ball is 1/2" (1.2cm) and the baking soda is generally pretty smashed, but you could add a radius of the ball to be safe. 2cm is enough for the “sand” and the ball. The LEDs may be the determining factor.

I don’t think anyone has pushed the limits. I used a piece of glass for the bottom that was about 1/8" thick (3mm). My guess is that the flatness and rigidity is the most important. If you used 6mm and it was flatter, you could adjust the magnet to be right under the surface for max pull. If you used 3mm material that sagged, you might have to move the magnet farther down until it was a lot farther.

Not much. The design constraints I was concerned with was having a good border to cover the lights, while letting them illuminate the whole area.

Off the top of my head, my countertop build had the LEDs up about 0.75 inch, and there is 1.5in of border between the open area and the LEDs. My glass for the top and bottom are 1/8" and the countertop is 1.5in thick. So the total depth of the compartment is about an inch. These dimensions worked (and I posted a link to onshape at the bottom of my build thread if you want the actual dims instead of my memory). They are not the only geometry that works though.

1 Like

This is really helpful! Thanks!

Here is the post with the cad and a long story of my build: