Designing my first part

Had an idea for a round hockey puck for the roland style cutter (After doing those t-shirts last weekend) and very much TRYING to design it. Oh Boy, i have much more respect for those who do things, like design cncs, or parts for cnc, or etc.

This one has really challenged me, but I am getting there. How do you design for tolerances?
Gratuitous shot of my freecad design :slight_smile:

roland-cutter

9 Likes

Congrats! Looks pretty good actually.

Is that extruded or revolved?

If you are printing it a good place to start is making holes about 0.2mm bigger, and outer surfaces 0.2mm smaller. From there you can dial in if you need more on your printer.

2 Likes

Lol, not sure extruded\revolved. It is Freecad. Just a series of pads! I am far from a novice even!

At one point i got quite upset, i walked away and came back and suddenly it started to make sense!

3 Likes

That’s pretty good progress, frankly. Grokking CAD workflow can be a really difficult challenge.

3 Likes

Extruded then. :smile:
CAD is hard, freecad is particularly hard. Did you try the Ondsel version, it looks better from a quick glance.
Once you start understanding something even a little bit you start to get better really fast. I think you got over the hump, now you just need to make a couple more things and you will really lock it in. If you are not sure what to make a pair of dice, with all the dots populated…that is a great learning project.

4 Likes

I did mess with ondsel. It is exciting, but i have been messing with freecad, for a while, but never really created anything. Ondsel feels really different! But i think this made things click for me! We will see where it goes.

2 Likes