Default Kiri:moto profile for V1e machines (Lowrider and MPCNC)

I’ve created a pull request to have “default” sizes and settings for V1e machines in kiri:moto Kiri:Moto
WIP Add V1Engineering CNC machines. by Pastitas · Pull Request #253 · GridSpace/grid-apps · GitHub

The idea would be to make a very rough default config for each machine and add some basic cut profiles (like softwood, hardwood, acrylic and foam, maybe aluminium aswell?).

Anybody can then customize but please make any comments (maybe only one profile is needed for both, I assumed max feed-rates would differ)

After this is merged it might make the current guide a bit obsolete but I’m including some of the config steps there into the profiles so It shouldn’t matter, I’m a bit short on time but if anybody wants to help feel free to chip in!

6 Likes

Chiming in…

FWIW, I use the exact same settings using Estlcam for my Primo as I do for my LowRider3. I used to use slightly lower speeds for the LowRider2, but I found with the 3, that the same CAM works for both machines.

Caveat: My Primo is a little oversize and as such I could probably run a bit faster or deeper cut with a more normal size, bit I also feel that I am not “pushing” the LR3 very hard.

Both of my machines use the same trim routers, and I have of course the same selection of endmills.

2 Likes

Interesting, then maybe one was sufficient, but the maintainer already merged the PR!!

I intended to add some extra features as the guys from makera (makers of the carvera cnc) have added default profiles and configs for their machine in kiri:moto and I’d like to learn and do that for our machines, since kiri:moto is free with the cheaper jackpot boards we might be able to get a super accessible toolchain for cnc!

And for the power-users imagine being able to do cam on a rpi connected to the control board directly, everything in the machine would be self contained!

@vicious1 Do we have some kind of general recomendations for feeds and speeds for “stock” machines in basic materials?(3 or 4 profiles would be enough) I could implement that into the kiri:moto profiles as a starting point.

I am not familiar with what that means. I have not really user Kiri much. What is 3 or 4? I think the milling basics page has my starting “should work for everyone in wood” settings.

Sorry, I meant 3 or 4 material cut profiles.

I was thinking of having default surface-speed, step-over and step-down profiles for hardwood, softwood plastic and foam (maybe aluminium instead?) and was asking if there’s anything “official” that I could quote, maybe getting a feeds&speeds board like the one the sienci guys have (Materials - LongMill CNC) would be cool and it could be a community effort. Also maybe theirs is a good starting point since I don’t think the rigidity of their machine to be much different from mpcncs

Those numbers will work, They should be extremely conservative. Although I highly recommend a single flute endmill and lower RPM.

It really is hard to make blanket statements. Some people will have a hard time with those numbers, some people will 6x them in terms of material removal rate. I have a basic set of settings in the milling basics page and I would use that as a starting point for everything but metal. If you look at the chart you linked the numbers are not all that different.

Yeah, that’s why I proposed it, maybe we could run some tests and add a section like that to the wiki.

Has any of this materialized yet?

I’m trying to setup Kiri:Moto for my lowrider3 but can’t find the settings maybe I’m not looking in the right spot?

They merged my changes but i’m not sure if everything is there

I can’t find them.

I can’t find a generic Marlin cnc either. I’ll try to make one based on an other generic cnc machine.