Custom Dragon Picture Frame

My daughter made me a dragon last year and I like it so much I didn’t want to just hang it somewhere, gathering dust. A normal picture frame doesn’t do it justice either, so I finally got off my lazy ass and designed a custom frame for it. Took me some tries because of the tolerances and me forgetting to mirror it before cutting, but at least all the kids now have wooden dragons… :smiley:

Finished frame:

20 Likes

Very cool way to preserve your child’s artwork! Have your daughter do some smaller pieces, then use this technique to make them into holiday ornaments. They would come out of the box once a year as memories. I wish I had thought of this when my daughter was young.

5 Likes

I think it took me more time to program and cut the Dragon than it took her to make. I’d love to do that but time is not on my side with that… :smiley:

2 Likes

I get it, time is limited.
But if anyone thought Robert’s idea is worth trying, time could be “limited” by designing the frame/ornament first, which would then size the “canvas” for the child to design.

Thus not requiring as much time for the “perfect fit” when creating the frame.
Of course maybe I’m being captain obvious, but I was impressed with Robert’s idea.

2 Likes

Wow, AWESOME!

2 Likes

This is an awesome use of a CNC.

1 Like

That’s adorable! Quite the artistic collaboration. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s awesome. What a great use of your machine and your time.

1 Like