Custom Bart Dring FluidNC controller

I didn’t wire my ENA pins on purpose so my motors are on all the time and Z doesn’t accidentally drop, for instance. :smiley:

I intentionally used 1mm pitch lead screw for Z so that it never drops :stuck_out_tongue:
(Talk about LR2 PTSD)

Since there are so few boards, let’s give one away. Since they are new, you are basically a beta tester. So post a picture of your MPCNC or LowRider to this Twitter post, https://twitter.com/V1Engineering/status/1683264473845620736?s=20 , and I will select a random winner Tuesday at noon.

If you won’t be able to use it for a while, maybe just hold off until they are for sale, I need them to be used to get some feedback.

If Twitter is not your thing, I am sorry, it is the easiest way to do this for me. It is a lot easier than submitting a recent YouTube video featuring one of the machines…maybe that is next, though.

4 Likes

That’s the first time I have logged into twitter in a LONG time LOL. Photo posted… New machine should be mounted tomorrow and getting wired. Although I’m am perfectly happy paying for it…

2 Likes

International giveaway? (México)

Perfect timing, I’m finishing my LR3, and my old Anet A8 would benefit more with the SKR pro board.

1 Like

I have read every post in this thread, and even if my machine was finished I don’t think I’d be able to use it for a while! :rofl: :rofl:

It’s exciting stuff watching you blokes talk in your own weird language, but I’m going to have to wait for the plain English version to come out I’m afraid!

1 Like

I’m waiting for the release version… Not that I need one, as I still have 2 Duet 2 Wifi boards unused, and I like the RRF interface, plus everything set up on both the Primo and LR3…

I do, however have almost everything for another Primo printed, and almost enough spare LR3 parts to make another, which I’d really like to use for a plasma cutter build…

Might need to wait until I can get 220V to the garage though.

5 Likes

Great suggestion Barry!

CLASSY!

Here’s the MPCNC at the moment:

The 4th axis moves but it is “C” whereas I might prefer to call it “A”. I’m sure I can do that in the config.

I’m still working on getting endstops hooked up so I can home/square.

I’m temporarily using the 5V from the expansion port to power a fan. Totally unnecessary but I wanted it. When a 12V fan is driven at 5V it is very quiet.

Going to print a bracket to mount Doug’s magnetic kinematic base in the laser clamp. Then time for a crown.

Any suggestions for a pen on the rotary axis? Not the season for easter eggs but I might try that.

7 Likes

Partly printed, mostly clear acrylic case showing off the jackpot board would go well with those acrylic YZ plates and sweet Aluminum grill… Happy to share a complimenting case design if that helps…

Personally appreciate Jonathan’s persistence and ability to improvise, adapt and overcome build challenges.

5 Likes

Hell yeah! I’m not a designer at all so that would be AWESOME!!! Only thing to remember is i use 2.5" flex hose for my dust collection…if that makes any difference in your design at all…

Edit to add…I have some 1/4" Aluminum left if you want to incorporate that in the design as well. Then it will tie in with the build completely LOL

1 Like

I found this is especially useful for laser machines. Having buttons to turn the laser on (lower power) and off for setup and prep purposes has been super convenient.

3 Likes

I previously had a macro called “laser pointer” that would take the laser on at a very small power so that I could precisely set the homing point
Great use case for a dedicated button indeed

On grbl though, the laser only activates when moving, so it kinda defeats the purpose

2 Likes

Make your macro wiggle 0.1mm each way.

1 Like

Or a small circle! Even better calibration.

1 Like

I think there’s an option somewhere to activate the laser even when not moving
Either way I need to investigate this, because the laser does not power off instantly after the end of movement, it stays on for something like 10-15s, which is a bit dangerous >_<

I need to read the grbl documentation on laser mode

Fluidnc is compatible with grbl, but have more options and capabilities. Perhaps fluidnc has something as well.

2 Likes

Here’s a rev1 jackpot board connected to my testbench.Am doing some testing with fluidnc before starting migration to klipper.

5 Likes

This must be for a custom design and not a V1 machine. I don’t remember anything that had idlers and threaded screws on the same mount.

1 Like

It’s from the lowrider 2. I have the lowrider 3 parts printed for my 2nd machine but have not as yet moved the parts.

2 Likes

Ahh ok. Been too long since I had/worked on a LR2 lol