Cribbage Board with lid, LR3

First project with my LR3 was this cribbage board for my mother. Well-received this morning! :christmas_tree:

Made from cherry, with stain and polyurethane finish. My design in F360. Lots and lots of learning: this was board #3 and lid #lostcount (4? 5?).

10 Likes

Wow! Nice!

1 Like

Looks like one magnet needs re-glued.

Yeah, one of them popped out, the superglue wasn’t as strong as the magnet. And that hole was a little too big, so the magnet wasn’t a press-fit in. All things to work on for future makes.

Maybe scuff up / notch that magnet when you glue it back in

1 Like

Excellent work!

(On a side note, is cribbage hard to learn?)

1 Like

Never played, but from what I understand it’s harder than, say, Go Fish, but easier (slightly) than Bridge or Whist. Probably on par with something like Hearts.

2 Likes

How about comparing it to Skat or Doppelkopf and not your weird games? :yum:

Sort of. There are some weird names and quite a few simple rules. But they don’t really compound. So you can easily play it with a good buzz.

For example. You get two points for the pairs in your hand. If you have 5H,5D,5S, there is no bonus for three of a kind, but you can make a pair three ways: 5H-5D, 5D-5S, 5S-5H. So that is worth 6 points and called a “pair royale”. There are maybe two dozen weird things like that. And it seems endless at first. But it doesn’t take much attention to absorb them. The best is to play a few games with someone that knows. You can get going after learning the basics and then the others will get described as you go. Things like the weird flush rules or his knobs/knees are not that important until you need to count. I am sure there are some good YT videos about it.

If we ever end up at the same table, you and I are going to take turns teaching each other card games.

2 Likes

You can learn the rules in a few minutes. Easier if you play with a bunch of people and they teach you. When it gets competitive though, points you miss can be stolen by someone else. They usually skip this while teaching.

Everyone is dealt a hand of 5 cards (for 4 players. 2 players get 6 cards each.) You throw 1 (or 2) of these into a “crib” so that everyone has 4 cards, including the crib. Another player cuts the deck and one additional card is revealed.

Play goes in 2 phases. Each player plays 1 card at a time, and the sum is totaled until it gets to 31. You “peg” points during this phase if you can make a combination with the last card. If you cannot play a card to keep the total under 31, you must pass. When everyone passes, the count starts again.

After all cards are played, you count your hand. Points are awarded for combinations totalling 15 (face cards count as 10) for pairs (as Jeff said, 3 of a kind is 3 pairs, 4 of a kind is 6 pairs.) And runs. 4, 5, 5, 6 is 2 sets of 15, a pair of 5s and 2 three card runs. Say the cut card is also a 6, and then you can add another pair, 2 more sets of 15 and another 2 three card runs.

The crib is counted in the same way. Shuffle all the cards, next player deals. First player to 121 points wins.

1 Like

I am a fan of many card games, but cribbage is probably my favorite (just edging out Euchre).

I have a new board design to try. I like this one, but I think a slightly different layout will be even better. Hoping to settle on one that I can sell, eventually.

Which makes it faster to learn if you play for money…

I will never play a game named “Skat” with a German, or German-adjacent person. Ever.

I use epoxy to glue magnets in place. The thicker glue helps fill in any gaps between the wood and the magnet and really holds it in place.

3 Likes

That sounds like a great idea. I will remember that for my next board. Thanks!

1 Like