Coordinates and workflow

HI!

New to this and I’m a bit confused about workflow and coordinates. Got some questions.

1. If I home my LR3, can we say that the spindle is in X0 Y0 Z0 regarding the machine coordinates?

2. If I use for example Repetier host, do I need to tell the software something about my working area or can I just set XYZ to zero by sending G92 X0 Y0 Z0 where I see fit (at the top of the workpiece in the lower left corner) and let the CAM file run?

3. If I do need to set a working area, what is defined as my working area?

Thanks

Yes

Yes. You can also just set up your CAM software to add the GCode to the beginning to always assume whereever you start the file is the Zero Point. For Z, you can also get a probe like the Tiny Touch Plate for an accurate Z on start and tool changes

You need to define you start if it’s different than machine 0, but you don’t need to define workspace limits. Generally, most of us operate without them and just live within the extents of what we know our machine is.

If you really want to, you can set up hard limits or soft limits to stop your machine from trying to travel further than you want it to even if you make a mistake

I don’t want to contradict Mitch I just want to highlight that X and Y will be at 0 but Z0 wont be correct to the surface of your workpiece or even working surface after homing. That needs an extra step as you mentioned

Yes, thats ok! Thanks…

Brilliant answer, thanks!

Mike M. and Dreyfus!
How do you run your machines? From touchscreen with SD, laptop with USB cable? Dedicated pc? And what postprocessors do you like for example Estlcnc or Repetier host and so on?

I assumed he meant he was manually positioning the bit at the top of the workpiece, and then issuing the command to set it correctly for workspace coordinates based on what he typed.

What he said about homing is technically correct for the machine coordinate system

I run my LR3 with Jackpot controller from the FluidNC web interface using an iPad.

I create my programs using EstlCAM, then transfer them from my computer to an SD card, then bring the SD card to my machine and run them directly from the web interface. I don’t use any external controllers or senders

On my LR3 I have a m5dial - using this I can home XY or jog to a location and zero XY there.
I use a probe (a small steel ruler) attached using magnets for setting Z0

The jackpot is connected to my wifi so my workflow is upload the gcode via browser on my PC and then setup and run using the dial.

Ok, it seems like the Jackpot is a popular choice. I decided to go with the SKR PRO V1.2.
Now i see why a jog is a good thing to have!

I have tried to run from SD. It can find the file but it Will not start.

What program are you using for you CAM?

Im using Estlcam.

Did you set it up for marlin per the docs?

Repetier Host does not reset it’s display coordinates when you execute a G92 command. If you do G92 X0 Y0 Z0 you can use the Repetier command @isathome to sync up the displayed coordinates if that’s important to you.

I think so but something is wrong obviously so…
Im wondering if it is sensitive to what SD card i use?

That got me a bit confused yesterday! Thanks! :slight_smile: