Convert DXF to SVG

I’m needing to create the YZ plates for my LR3 and they won’t fit on my Ender 3 plate. Fortunately I know someone with a CNC so they can cut them out. According to him they need to be SVG files. Can I run these DXF files through a converter and they will be fine?

I think inkscape can import dxf and export svgs.

2 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :white_check_mark:

If you aren’t familiar with the workings of inkscape there are a few online converters I’ve had great success with too like:

I use an app for the Mac and ios called Vector Converter, which also hooks into one of the online services.

Most CNC software will handle DXF files, so you might check with the someone you know before converting. As mentioned, there are multiple ways to convert to SVG from DXF, but DXF files don’t contain units. Ryan authored them using millimeters. You will need software that allows you to set the import units either as a setting, or as a prompt when importing the file. Or use a converter that assumes millimeters as the units.

I know Lightburn allows the setting of units. Lightburn is a paid app for laser work, but has a four-week free trial. You can set the units in Settings/File Settings/DXF Import Settings. Lightburn has the ability to export SVG files.

Make sure to not have him drill the “big” holes on those plates, just the inner, small ones if the plates are 6mm thick.

Follow up: He has VCarve. I apologize for such silly questions, but Can I just download the plate file from here, put it on a USB and have him load it into VCarve and then let the machine go? I apologize again, I am very new to all of this

EDIT: another question can I just run these DXF files as is in the program and cut them out?

VCarve can work with DXF files, yes. And yes, you can just give him a USB. :slightly_smiling_face:

Re-emphasising this if you’re just going to give him the original file to work from.

I’m planning on using 1/2” MDF so I should be fine drilling those holes correct?

EDIT: another question can I just run these DXF files as is in the program and cut them out?

DXF and SVG files are vector files. They are just paths, and don’t contain any CNC specific information. It is up to the CNC user to take a vector file and some CAM software (like VCarve), and create a job for the CNC. The user decides how the vectors are to be used. The vector paths might define an outside edge for a part, or they might define the boundary for a pocket, or they might define a path to score for decoration.

For your Lowrider parts, your friend will have to take your DXF and:

• Decide on what endmill to use and tell the CAM software.
  • Select some sort of contour cut that follows the outside of the paths
  • Decide on how fast (feedrate) to move the bit
  • Decide how deep to cut and therefore how many passes are necessary to cut through the MDF.
  • Decide whether to do a full-depth finishing pass to clean up the edges and make the part more accurate.
  • Decide on the RPM of the spindle/router.
  • If the part is held down by traditional clamps (rather than double-sided tape), program tabs to hold the part in place.

This sounds like a lot, but if your friend is experienced with his machine, his CAM, and with cutting MDF, he can set up the job in under five minutes. As for the DXF file, he just has to be careful to import/load it with millimeters as the units.

Yes, sorry, I mixed YZ and the others up again (XZ?). So no worries about the holes. :smiley:

1 Like