Control LED strip lights with Jackpot

I want to control some 12v LEDs with the Jackpot. I am using 12vdc to power the board. At first I thought I would need to add a relay and switch it with one of the 5v outputs, but I think I can use one of those MOSFET outputs directly to the LEDS. Just not exactly sure how to do that.

1. Hookup - Is the output labeled “GPIO-2” (and “GPIO-16”) the Vdc+ output and VMot the respective ground?

2. How do I control brightness? PWM? I see that I can use them as switches with the default config (Mist and Flood - M7 and M8).

3. Is 2.5A the max per output or is that the combined max?

Thanks

Do not use PWM with a relay. You can use a MOSFET, like the ones used for heated beds, or maybe a SSR, but a regular relay will not fare well.

If you need brightness control, I use DC motor speed controllers for that myself. On my printers, I use the fan outputs, which can do PWM control already, but the Jackpot doesn’t have them by default.

Yeah, I wouldn’t use PWM to switch a relay. I get that. I just want to know how to configure the MOSFET outputs to use PWM. I assume they can be configured that way. The way I understand it, they are simply on/off switches if using the default configuration.

For a minimal amount of money you could also add controller with WLED for some really fancy control.

1 Like

I read some threads on that. Seemed a bit overkill for what I want to do.

I was reading the FluidNC Wiki and it looks like if the GPIO-2 pin is configured as an analog output, the M67 command can be used to set the PWM percentage of it’s output. Thought maybe someone has done that?

I have some.of those stand-alone MOSFET boards. They follow the on-board MOSFETs so take a low switch. I would wire them from 5V to the switched pin, and use a pull-up resistor, and set them to PWM at logic low. By doing that, you can have a higher voltage current source switched to the LEDs. Keep in mind that the +12V will be constant with the ground switced via PWM.

OK, so the pins labeled VMot are wired directly to the input voltage of the board. In my case, +12vdc Correct? And the pin labeled GPIO-2 is switched to GND by the ESP32’s GPOI2 via an onboard MOSFET. Correct? So, I should be able to adjust the brightness of an LED strip wired to those pins by adjusting the PWM of the ESP32’s GPIO2. Correct?

I think I figured it out. I haven’t actually hooked up any lights yet, but I set GPIO16 to FluidNC’s analog0_pin and am able to control the intensity of the little green LED on the board by using the M67 command. Specifically:

M67 E0 Q0 (turns it off)
M67 E0 Q100 (full bright - 100% duty cycle)
M67 E0 Q50 (50% duty cycle) … etc

I’ll hook up the LED strip tomorrow if I get a chance.

Still wondering if 2.5A is the max per MOSFET or combined. I assume it is the max per MOSFET. I can’t imagine the lights needing any more than 2A, so I suppose it doesn’t matter.

1 Like