Control Box for the Open CNC Shield 2

I made a control box for the Open CNC Shield 2 that is printed and milled acrylic for the Lowrider 3. Files are on Printables (Printables). :slight_smile:

/edit: Now with video (pretty interesting if you want to know how well trochoidal works with acrylic!):

6 Likes

I like it. How much time did it take you?

Printing was kind of longish, nearly 6 hours.
Milling the parts took ~37 minutes.

Now with video. Good example for trochoidal milling.

I like the video, it gets my pulse beating!

Is the autosquaring a new feature?

You’ve got that as well, for Estlcam it’s new. :smile:

Ok. Exiting (I know almost nothing about CNC software).

Do you have a “Emergency Stop” button?

Yeah, under the table. Everything is connected to it, not only the box, also the router.

Ok. Sounds neat.

Do you ever press it?

How does it work with the autosquare with a press of a button?

The board has got a dedicated ESP32 for that feature, but don’t ask me how it works. :smiley: I am the end user not the programmer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, if an endmill comes lose, something runs into a clamp etcpp. I have used it at least 3 times in the last two years where I was really happy I had it.

And you are happy where you have placed the emergency stop?

What board are you using? I guess it’s the open CNC Shield 2?

I wasn’t because it is on the front and I bumped into it twice, my kids also. Now the table is larger and overhangs so no more accidental bumping. :smiley: Now I am happy.

Obviously, otherwise I wouldn’t put it on my LowRider, would I? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Captain Obvious here :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you tried any board before it?

And what are your table dimensions? Are they fulllength? (As in a full sheet of MDF)

My build thread will answer those questions I guess: Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany :slight_smile:

Before that I had this board: ESTLCAM control card with Arduino Mega and Jog Wheel - ArduinoClub. It can only address three drivers though, so I needed another one. :frowning:

I just read your build thread and I got inspired!

Why did you opt for the Open CNC Shield 2?

I wanted to use Estlcam as a post processor as well, not Marlin.