Connecting Laser 3 wire driver ??

Sorry for the colloquial English.

Yes, 100V on the board would cause rapid and permanent failure of the CPU and the MOSFETs controlling the fans.

It is far more likely that there is an issue with your multimeter, either the setting for reading voltage or else the battery.

The fan on at full power might read 100% duty cycle and at half could read 50% duty cycle which would be correct. Maybe you are reading that? I don’t know, maybe a picture of your multimeter while reading that would help.

In any case, powering the laser from a 24V fan port is not good. It should have its own 12V supply.

yes you are both right, I measured with another multimeter. It works at 24 volts. My multimeter broken. I just bought it but I never used it before. it didn’t worked when I have work :))) now I’ll buy a new one and continue the process :))
İ will come back here for this project

I have completed the project and it is working. the laser is currently powered and motion sensitive. it works when the laser moves or the laser works when the bottom plate moves :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

Hello…you seem to have some expierience with these diode lasers so first question.
1- does a diode laser need a signal on the pwm pins to do a test fire. i want to be sure its working before i put iton my machine.
2. I’m installing this on a shopsabre 4896 using wincnc is the controller .the lase i have is a 3 pin and pwm shares a ground with the 12volts input.The people at wincnc are worried that 12 volts could be fed back to the computer pci slot (where the card is) and fry it.
#. I bought the 3 pin before i knew this. do you think that i should be worried about this.
3. on another forum a gentleman said I could use a opto coupler to isolate pwm so there was not a path back to the card. but i dont know how to do this.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Ben, I’m pretty much retired from this kind of work now and you’re playing with some substantially non-hobbyist level equipment. Since you are in contact with the WinCNC folks (in my experience, they were downright unfriendly and not at all helpful with a friend’s WinCNC plasma machine) and their proprietary controller, I really can’t be of help. I see that you are talking to some pretty good folks over in the Lightburn forum… I’ll defer to them. Typically, large CNC machines with a laser attached are not nearly as fast or handy as a dedicated laser engraver. My friend’s large formerly-WinCNC plasma (now Mach3 with spindle) CNC machine is great for hogging/cutting out great gobs of material… but he has a dedicated Atezr 20W laser engraver for laser work.

Thank you very much .to be I honest wincnc was pretty helpful. But they are in West Virginia and I have some property there my mother gave me, so i invited the guy to o hunting…lol. he has not taken me up on it yet, but sometimes you have to grease the wheels. I was lucky because i had bought a guys 20-watt synrad laser years ago an I was able to get my license upgraded for free back then. But since my machine had been stored and the computer went out .i had to put together another one with windows xp or do a upgrade. Which i was dreading I’m starting back up after years of back problem, so I’m doing this on the cheap. So any way after calling them to turn on my laser option he told me it had already been done back then, i just had an older copy of my license file. The reason I’m using a diode laser is the synrad need refurbished. by the way. Do you use any figured lumber? my son and I have a woodmizer sawmill and we sell a lot of figured woods, which was one of my side businesses back when I was a custom cabinet maker before my back problems. my back is much better now, they did a nerve burn in my lower back and that helped a lot,. Most of the back issues were from jumping motorcycles when I was young…lol, but yes…to your suggestion I do plan on using a dedicated laser machine of some sort later on. I’m just trying to come up with some items to make and sell with all our scrap wood. we sell a lot of spalted maple tt comes from the mountain place I mentioned earlier. Well, thank you for your reply and it was nice to meet you. Tell me what kind of things are you making or doing with a laser or wood or any hobbies?

At 77 years old, tired and retired, I don’t have the strength to do anything but small, lightweight, projects nowadays. I have always enjoyed working with “found wood”… small limbs and wood chunks I can find/pick up around my property and can “mill”/plank out on my bandsaw. Small knick-knack/gift boxes with lasered “easy [reverse] inlays” and engravings are among my most recent projects…

Though far less active in recent times, I’ve been pretty active on this fantastic forum for years and have made many great friends and chimed in on myriad projects/threads. Stick around and give folks a chance to get to know you… you won’t regret it.

– David

1 Like