Configure MKS-DLC32 for pen plotter hbot

Hi all. I received all the remaining parts from China during the last 3 days. This morning I had a chance to mount all the pieces and also to modify and 3D print the new actuator plate.

Here you can see some pics

The structure looks pretty sturdy and stable. I am able to print at 3000mm/min without evident noise on the patterns.

My config.yaml for fluidnc is:

board: MKS-DLC32 V2.1
name: PenPlotter_A0
meta: (Jun 2023) by SerFabio89

stepping:
  engine: I2S_STATIC
  idle_ms: 255
  pulse_us: 2
  dir_delay_us: 1
  disable_delay_us: 0

uart1:
  txd_pin: gpio.18
  rxd_pin: gpio.23
  rts_pin: NO_PIN
  cts_pin: NO_PIN
  baud: 115200
  mode: 8N1

axes:
  shared_stepper_reset_pin: NO_PIN
  shared_stepper_disable_pin: I2SO.0

x:
    steps_per_mm: 100.000
    max_rate_mm_per_min: 7500.000
    acceleration_mm_per_sec2: 500.000
    max_travel_mm: 850.000
    soft_limits: true

homing:
      cycle: 2
      allow_single_axis: true
      positive_direction: false
      mpos_mm: 0.000
      feed_mm_per_min: 1500.000
      seek_mm_per_min: 1500.000
      settle_ms: 500
      seek_scaler: 1.100
      feed_scaler: 1.100

motor0:
      limit_neg_pin: gpio.36
      hard_limits: false
      pulloff_mm: 5.000
      tmc_2209:
        uart_num: 1
        addr: 0
        r_sense_ohms: 0.110
        run_amps: 1.000
        hold_amps: 0.300
        microsteps: 16
        stallguard: 55
        stallguard_debug: true
        toff_disable: 0
        toff_stealthchop: 5
        toff_coolstep: 3
        run_mode: CoolStep
        homing_mode: StallGuard
        use_enable: true
        step_pin: I2SO.1
        direction_pin: I2SO.2

y:
    steps_per_mm: 100.000
    max_rate_mm_per_min: 7500.000
    acceleration_mm_per_sec2: 500.000
    max_travel_mm: 1150.000

homing:
      cycle: 2
      positive_direction: false
      mpos_mm: 0.000
      feed_mm_per_min: 1000.000
      seek_mm_per_min: 1000.000
      settle_ms: 500
      seek_scaler: 1.100
      feed_scaler: 1.100

motor0:
      limit_neg_pin: gpio.35
      tmc_2209:
        addr: 1
        step_pin: I2SO.5
        direction_pin: I2SO.6

motor1:
      limit_neg_pin: gpio.34
      tmc_2209:
        addr: 2
        step_pin: I2SO.3
        direction_pin: I2SO.4:low

z:
    steps_per_mm: 25.000
    max_rate_mm_per_min: 2000.000
    acceleration_mm_per_sec2: 100.000
    max_travel_mm: 10.000

homing:
      cycle: 1
      positive_direction: true
      mpos_mm: 10.000

motor0:
      rc_servo:
        pwm_hz: 50
        output_pin: gpio.22
        min_pulse_us: 1600
        max_pulse_us: 2500
        timer_ms: 60

i2so:
  bck_pin: gpio.16
  data_pin: gpio.21
  ws_pin: gpio.17

spi:
  miso_pin: gpio.12
  mosi_pin: gpio.13
  sck_pin: gpio.14

sdcard:
  cs_pin: gpio.15
  card_detect_pin: gpio.39

control:
  safety_door_pin: NO_PIN
  reset_pin: NO_PIN
  feed_hold_pin: NO_PIN
  cycle_start_pin: NO_PIN
  macro0_pin: gpio.27:low:pu
  macro1_pin: gpio.33:low:pu
  macro2_pin: NO_PIN
  macro3_pin: NO_PIN

macros:
  startup: $HZ
  macro0: $H
  macro1: $HZ
  macro2: $X
  macro3:

start:
  must_home: false

Have fun guys!

4 Likes

Cool

Hi Ser Fabio,
I think I have bought the same machine and have the same issues. I am also using FluidNC and have the same stepper drivers but I am having issues with the pen lift and the motor speeds. I see that you ended up heavily modifying your machine from stock, did you ever end up with a functioning config file for the original setup? Have only just started playing around and this thread was the first thing I found.
Best,
Aidan

AAargghhh!!

I messed up manually setting a new config file for the fluidNC. I added too many strange characters, so now Iā€™m not able to delete the file, and its taking up space and Iā€™m not able to upload a new file. Iā€™ve tried reflashing the board, but the web installer is not able to reach boot mode. I have the MKS DLC32 v2.1. Iā€™ve tried shorting GPIO0 and GND, which someone said is enabling boot. I used the .bat-based installer and fluidterm, but it only updated the firmware, it didnā€™t reflash. Sorry for this mess - I think the main culprit is the stupid file name: <sisteconfig.yaml>\ Iā€™m not able to delete it, neither from terminal nor the webUI folder tool. What can I do?

Hello Aidan,

I ended up with the huge change and sequent configuration. It was too time consuming to make it work with the original hardware and the performances were anyway not satisfyingā€¦ Iā€™m sorry but I donā€™t have any config to share apart from the one already in the thread :confused:

Hi man! Long time no see. I would proceed with the usb cable and try to flash from scratch using the utilities in the laster FluidNC build on Github. I recently updated to 3.7.1 and it seems to work. Did you tried it already?

1 Like

Hi there! Yeah I did, but the old settings and files where still there. I find it difficult to understanding what is happening under the hood. Thereā€™s something about the fluidnc that is a little opaque to meā€¦

Edit: I asked in the fluidNC Discord, and Bart himself reached out. A little embarassingā€¦ he told me to use install-fs.bat. A very obvious solution, when he points it out!!

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Iā€™m delighted to come across this topic because Iā€™m struggling with a similar thing. My programming skills are quite basic.

Iā€™ve already designed a plotter using a CNC shield. This is my third attempt at creating a plotter, and Iā€™m satisfied at 80% (compared to 0% for the first and second attempts and 20% for the third). I would like to (once again) design another CNC.

Main modifications:

Larger size
More robust
Extreme usage (extended working hours)
Dual use: plotter and CNC laser
Standalone operation (without a PC)

In terms of design, Iā€™m still working on it using Fusion 360. The current result:

Iā€™m also stuck on the choice of the laser module; Iā€™m still undecided.

My big problem is also the control board. I would like to switch to an MKS DLC32, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to easily control both the plotter servo and the laser since this board is designed only for the laser.

Iā€™m trying to follow your discussion, which is very interesting.

Hello Esloch. I would say that the MKS DLC32 is more than capable for you purposes. It can handle 3 independent steppers (silently) and also some servos plus the laser too. I would give it a shot

1 Like

Excellentā€¦ but I would truly appreciate understanding the procedure to achieve this.

Reassure me: is it possible to operate both the laser and the servo with a single configuration?

I would prefer not to have to redo the wiring for each changeā€”just to be able to relocate the module.

Can I have a wiring diagram to connect a servo and a Laser moduleā€¦ and also the necessary files to install on the board and on the screen

THANKS

Yes you can have them all controlled with a single configuration and this single board. I donā€™t have a laser to test it btw

1 Like

Hello Ser Fabio,
I am building a very similar open plotter to your system but of course not this much huge like a beast as you said (by the way: my respect sir).
I was wondering did you completely give up on running h-boat configuration with this board? And also if you are doing Cartesian configuration why do you need two separate y motor drivers, arenā€™t they both work simultaneously?

1 Like

Thanks mate!
Yeah, I completely gave up cause with hbot it is not possible (afaik) to use the sensorless homing of tmc2209, and I really wanted to have it.
I am using cartesian and I decided to use double Y steppers cause it was easier, more reliable and cheaper to precisely control the movement on the Y axis. The machine is big with a single motor it is not possible to avoid and bending on the Y. I also use two separate drivers that home independently so always reach an accurate horizontal alignment. If you are careful enough btw you can use a single driver with two steppers in parallel (but I recommend not to).

How big is your machine?

Bests,
F

Thatā€™s great reason for opting 2 y drivers thanks indeed . My setup is half size of your plotter. Itā€™s A1 size, but Iā€™m having difficulty running servo for the pen lifter without using fluidnc, because fluidnc disables the tft screen that came with my mks dlc32 :sweat_smile: and I want to have that working. Sensorless homing is not priority for me . Any advise would be highly appreciated for running that digital servo as pen lifter :pray:t2:

this is a very bad problem :confused: ā€¦ for me :confused:

OK, Iā€™ll leave the screen behindā€¦no big dealā€¦ :cry:

I would not worry about the display. The web interface is much more usable and complete

1 Like

This website says it is possible to use a small screen with FluidNC. This allows you to display important information, such as the IP address of the board, and the current position of the X, Y, and Z axes. Interesting, no !!??

1 Like

Hi Ser Fabio.
I complete,y gave up on hbot as well , Cartesian all the way , no more tft screen when the web interface is more than enough. Now i appreciate sensorless homing more. Basically I will do exactly same as your setup with two separate y drivers and servo pen lifter . Can you please help by providing the wiring diagram of your setup mate :pray:t2:?

It would be great. BUT I was in need for a lot of free GPIOs to handle drivers, servo, etcā€¦ The display occupies too much lines :confused: