Compiling GRBL Mega5 for gt2560 3d printer control board

Greetings,
Thank you in advance!
I am attempting to compile GRBLMega 5 for a laser engraver I am building. I already have the download from Github. I am fluent using VSCode with modifying and compiling marlin firmware (fw). I have no clue how to even do this for the GRBL fw. I’ve searched youtube, google, etc. Seems like the Arduino IDE is what people use. I have the hardware all ready, (frame, motors, endstops, ps, gt2560 control board, laser, lcd display, and wiring, etc.), just missing the critical fw to make everything work.

Please advise, (maybe in crayon) how to even start compiling.

Sincerely,
Israel

Is there a reason to not use the arduino ide?

LOL, I forgot how to even setup and use. It has been years since I used Arduino IDE. I switched to VSCode simply because it was easier to debug problems.

Well, I don’t know if anyone here compiles grbl on vs code, but I struggle a lot with it.
If you don’t get it sorted, at least the arduino ide is an option, then. Super easy to setup for grblmega.

OK, that’s for tomorrow. wish me luck

1 Like

There is a lot less setup with Arduino ide. They updated it since I have use it last. But I think you just need to install it, add your board and open the grbl sketch. Maybe you need a library, but that will be in the grbl documentation.