Compensating for curved surface

Hi all!

I’m making stencils to apply letters on a wood thing. On the curved side, it was hard to level the stencil, and the curves made the text look weird. How can I properly measure and compensate for this curve? My head goes spaghetti when trying to figure out how to “bend” it…

Is this something to protect you from cold hands when you have to look to the side and cough?

(sorry)

It’s a baby spoon :smiley:

Well, it’s a traditional ladle for emptying wooden boats of water!

(the most beautiful shaped boats I can think of. The descendants of the old viking style of ships.)

If you look at the shape, it’s quite similar to the modern pelton turbine. They knew many things in days of old, without having engineers around!

1 Like

Edit: trial and error it is! Eye balling is the way.

I wonder if one of the pepakura apps could help - they are able to take compound curves and produce flat cut files.

Eye balled it was:

Honestly, it’s not suppose to seem “industrial”, so I’ll leave it to this.

1 Like

I believe this can be done in Autodesk inventor (maybe fusion too?) the “emboss” feature can be set to conform to a curved surface.

If you were to make a part in the sheet metal environment of inventor, emboss the text to the curve, then generate the flat pattern, it may give you what you need. Probably other ways too. Usually more than one way to get things done in CAD

1 Like

Or you can use “BEND” in Inkscape! Totally not accurate, but it did it’s purpose. These kinds of things should have some in-accuracies to them, it’s a part of the style. The boat builders and builder of houses using traditional tools even use INCHES still :smiley: :smiley:

It’s funny how you get new ideas in your sleep! Taking a tips from chatgpt an expanding on it: if I used a laser gauge on the curved surface, and than projected the computer screen onto the face while finding the correct “bend”. I wonder how that’ll turn out.

What do you mean? Taking a picture of the laser line on the product and uploading it to the text-generating program, following the line in the picture? Because I see how that could work.

Put laser on object to get a straight line. Put a mirrored computer screen onto the same object using a projector. Aim using the laser and bend the text so that it follow the line. Cut out vinyl, apply and paint. (I THINK?!??)

Well, eye balling works well enough!