Community Documentation

Heath, if each page of the instructions had a link at the top that said “click here to edit” and that brought you to a github page you can edit in the browser using markup and see a preview would that make github better for you. You then click submit and I (and hopefully others) then have the option to accept it or throw it away.

Like Bill can directly correct my spelling and grammar easier than having to cut and paste. (my personal English teacher)

I am trying to get something going but keep hitting programming hurdles. I am gunna give it another try if that doesn’t work I will clone sandify RTD and edit the whole thing.

But what about my copyright!! Jk.

RTD is also a hosting service. Can you change the theme with RTD? We need more black and red.

The mk material theme looks pretty good to me, but as long as they are markdown they should be easy to edit. Then we can figure out how to churn that using MK into Ryan’s site or RTD.

If you can get RTD to pay for the hosting, why wouldn’t you?

This is embarrassing how hard this is for me…almost there.

MKdocs, RTD theme (to start with), on github…maybe

OMG…https://v1engineeringinc.github.io/V1_Engineering_Docs/

Don’t laugh it took me all that time to wrap my head around it.

1 Like

Okay well that didn’t work. It outputs a bunch of working html but the plain ol docs are not there

Don’t feel bad. Setting this up is going to be the hardest part.

I think you’ll start like this, with the “source” in github. The html output then can be pushed to another branch, which gh pages will use to host it. It looks like you’re trying to use gh pages. Ideally, the conversion to html is done automatically with a ci server whenever master changes.

Looks like there are a couple of ways to do pdf export from mkdocs. I can try them out this afternoon.

That sounds intuitive enough. I was just trying to give my feedback as a plain old reader of documentation with no experience or knowledge of the backend stuff. But I’d love to learn and help out.

HAHAHA, me too. This stuff ain’t easy. I figure If I can at least set most of it up, I will understand it enough as to make sure others can easily edit it. And, this is a test, if I can get it going and you or anyone else think it sucks…I will strongly consider other options before moving everything over.

Okay progress is being made. Don’t judge this too much as this is really rough and we were just testing things out. I have learned how to make changes and deploy it to github, Hefe knew all that and figured out the rest.

Please do not add anything to crazy yet, this all might get scrapped for a new version. If you want to try an edit feel free, I can delete the request easily.

https://v1engineeringinc.github.io/V1EngineeringInc-Docs

To see what editing a page looks like click the link at the bottom “edit on github”, towards the top of the page that pops up click on the pencil icon that is edit this page. I think I can change this link so it takes you directly to the edit page. After you make some edits you make a note and submit it at the bottom.

Still to do, everything. I am not sure about this theme, It looks good but it has bugs, or I am doing something wrong. I am going to try to do the minor firmware LCD edits and mess with this a bit this evening.

I was looking at the mkdocs-material documentation today and it seems much more mature. It said something about search not working as well with mkdocs-1.0, so I was going to try it out. It seems like it’s much friendlier to customization.

I was cleaning up windmill, it has issues. The footer is not centered correctly and the menus can overlap the pages at certain times.

Material looks good, no “edit this page on Github” I think we can add that? The page title changes with each link clicked.

The edit is the little pencil in the upper right. More info here:

https://squidfunk.github.io/mkdocs-material/getting-started/#adding-a-source-repository

Did you try doing the edit button with an account that wasn’t on the project? It looks like it’s going to let me just force my change through, but that might be because you added me already.

Okay lets do that one then, Super easy to go back if needed.

I have a start of the Sandify page to get a real look at what this will look like. I will push it now.

Can you Deploy as well?

I made an edit (logged I to GitHub) and if had me fork the project, create a commit and then create a PR for it.

1 Like

Sure.

Cool! Was it confusing or difficult at all?