Color combination recommendations

So before I dive in and start printing, I’d like to make sure my machine looks good in the end. Apart from the actual color, which are subjective, are there any recommendations regarding color combination for different parts. Like “print parts 1-20 with color A and parts 21-40 with color B and you’ll get a nice looking machine that follows a line of thinking” if you know what I mean, or do I need to look at the schematics in beforehand to decide which goes where and what color. I imagine all of you have been in the same place before doing the first print. Thanks!

I believe the main list denotes color coding by black or grey text:

5 Likes

Part of me wants to say it doesn’t really matter. Then the other part of me is always impressed by how good looking some of these machines are.

The part of me that says it doesn’t matter is the realist in me. It’s because as parts break, I never seem to have the same color lying around to reprint them with. A year or two down the road and a lot of our machines all start to look like Rainbow Bright made them.

What @scrounge79 said is right, though. Going by the black vs grey will get you a machine with the same color scheme as Ryan’s black and red demo one.

3 Likes

Oh, so that’s why some parts are ‘greyed out’ in the list!

I’d noticed it, but there’s no explanation. I wondered if they were out of stock or something…

1 Like

There is also this diagram in the new docs which shows specifically which parts are which

5 Likes

Yeah, that should really be in the description!

Oh, that is really helpful! Thanks!

You say “as parts break” like it’s a part of everyday maintainance. Do they break often? Are there any negative consequenses to printing with more infill than the recommended (apart from the obvious time aspect)?

No. It’s not an everyday occurrence. My machine is over 2 years old. As you cut materials, if you get the feeds and speeds wrong, sometimes it breaks bits. Sometimes it breaks parts.

If you accidentally put a metal screw in the path of your 1/4" end mill… it tends to break parts :slight_smile:

After a while, the PLA will start to get brittle from heat cycling in a garage. I noticed this started to happen a lot to my machine at about the 1.5 year mark. It’s when I decided to finally do the upgrade to the ‘Burly’ parts on my Z axis. My rollers, stepper mounts, feet, and corner parts are still all original. I’ve rebuilt my Z axis twice. Once due to me breaking it. Once due to age.

The machine itself is sound… it’s the users that break things.

4 Likes

Dang, I never noticed that.

Like I told my wife, “Subtlety is lost on men.”

3 Likes

Pre-build, I spent most of my time in the Your Builds section pouring over photos, trying to decide what color scheme to use.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread. But any recommendations for a second color to go with Blue? I’m printing the A color parts on the Primo blue. And, I’m thinking the B parts could be either Red or Black. I have a roll of both of these colors.

Other colors I have right now are green and orange although I don’t think either would look good with blue.

Of course I could be convinced to order another color (twist my arm :wink: ) and I will need to order more blue soon as I use up what I have (Plus I don’t like running out)

Unless you’re from Denver or Seattle!:joy:

@Strider_Matic watch it or they will unleash the Kracken on you!

Maybe I’m being misunderstood…

No I got it. I was just being funny. The Kracken is the new NHL team starting next season in Seattle.

1 Like

Ah got it.:+1: I thought you thought it was something political. They try and keep that kinda stuff off the threads. Hehe, I’m not even into sports, go figure.:wink:

But there’s a nice color scheme. 3 blues, and you can make your V1 logo stepper toppers red!

Or, if you can find a burgundy, you could go with the Colorado Avalanche colors:

@jeffeb3ut I’m a Washington Capitals fan!

I’d like to pretend like I have a big rivalry with you, and I will somehow try to punish you for not liking the Avs, but as long as you like hockey and not baseball, I think we can be friends.

2 Likes