Collapsible Setup

I’ve almost finished printing the parts for my Lowrider 3 build. I’m hoping to mount this in a way that allows me to take it down and store it when not in use. Does anyone have suggestions on a table setup that would be conducive to this? As far as workable cutting area, I think I’d be happy with a 2’ x 3’ workable area.

1 Like

Every setup is collapsible if you build it shitty enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

But without joking: There have been several table ideas, @azab2c and I for instance have wide and short tables so we could just remove it and use it as a workbench (not that I am doing it, but I could). There are a few other ideas floating around, just dig around in the forums. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been digging around, haven’t found much in the way of collapsible setups (hence the post), but I’ll keep looking.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood. Do you want to fold the table?

Hey @jamin.collins, did you stumble across this topic… https://forum.v1e.com/t/cost-and-weight-smart-table-designs-that-would-make-macgyver-proud, also, consider checking out “Paulk workbench” if you haven’t already. Like Philipp said, there’s a bunch of workbench designs on the forum, takes some digging around to find them. Took me a long time to digest and decide what made sense for my situation, usage scenarios, time, budget and interest.

2’ x 3’ seems not too large to be on a surface attached to a wall that folds up, or down. Seen a few nice designs along these lines.

NeilP has a nice foldup and rolling setup, see The 'Black and Blue' LR3 build - #105 by Neilp

Thought about folding bench, but needed somewhere to work/drink anyway, so built rolling bar height bench for my LR3 to permanently live when not used on full sheet sled. Bench top can lift off if/when need to move/relocate, size lower section to roll through 28" or smaller entry. Like having a double/triple use bench rather than the CNC taking up dedicated space, especially since it’s only occasionally used. Also, like having the LR3 always setup and ready to use. Would just gather dust instead of chips if I had to pack and unpack for every use.

I’m still pretty open to suggestions at this point, but I stumbled upon this table in the PRs for the documentation. Can’t seem to find any other details for it, other than this image:

Would one of these placed on a typical Lifetime folding table be stable/secure enough for cuts?

This is almost exactly what I’m looking for, thank you. Now to find more details on how it was built (probably just need to read the full thread).

1 Like

There are a variety of forum posts on foldable designs. Here is one forum post I made that includes several designs, but I know there are other posts on the forum with other designs.

I’ve seen one Lowrider build that had pulleys and the table was lifted to the ceiling when not in use.

I’ve seen CNC builds where the CNC lives (permanently) on a shelf under a workbench. If you had a large enough table this could work.

Personally, I don’t have room for a permanent, decently sized Lowrider, so I’ve considered building one using a solid core or metal entry door and having the Lowrider table hang on a wall when not in use. I’m just guessing the door would be stiff and flat enough for this job.

There is more than one YouTube video with different types of “temporary” work spaces as well, if that helps.

Two that come to mind that I’ve not seen in the forum is a MPCNC mounted to a wall with hinges, that folds down(or up) when not in use.
One LR, that uses saw horses for the legs of the “table”; so the table top, and LR can take up less room when not in use, and/or the saw horses can be used for other jobs. There’s a third I just remembered and a variation on the forum, where the “legs” are a cart, with a hinge point close to midway, so the table is vertical in storage mode, and take less square feet. IMO it varies based on your space and your imagination of what will work best for the individual.

1 Like

Search for the “black and blue” build on the forum for the last example. He’s a full sheet build, but it shows one example, to get the ideas flowing.

1 Like

Seen @olijouve’s gravity defying setup… Think he propped it up with electrogravitics fueled by a stable element 115 isotope. Congress are forcing disclosure of it’s tech pretty soon.

1 Like

I definitely appreciate the responses. I don’t have a dedicated workshop space, so the goal is to have the Lowrider collapse into the smallest space possible and still be portable. The portability is one of the reasons I was considering dropping the size of the build to something like 2’ x 3’, but with Neilp’s (Black and Blue) build, it’s still quite portable. So, I think I’ll work toward something like that.

1 Like

I had this one in mind. I actually toyed with the idea of building one of those.

I just saw he updated it:

3 Likes

I burst out laughing on that.
Reminded me of a certain fellow who once lived in a van down by a river.

I have a kind of odd setup that is meant to mount to any table. It’s very much in its feeble design stages.
I think the parametric table would be a good idea. Roof slung with fold out legs. If you need any bad ideas feel free to ask I am full of them lol

2 Likes